Some upgrades for the SLXMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some upgrades for the SLXMG

I got these today, but of course no time to do anything today. My plan is to put the springs on the RRXMG, but otherwise everything else is going on the SLSXMG.
    Now to decide if I use the set screw, like on the RRXMG, or drill & tap this one to have a machine screw set the bar height.

Still considering the Schaller Claw or maybe go with the Tremol No.
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Cool that block makes a difference imo . I need one more. Those springs are coated? What's the deal with them? Are they more springy?

Never mind I just searched and see they are noiseless and give you a tighter crisper sound especially at high volumes. I may try a set of these.
    Last edited by z1n; 07-15-2015, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Yeah that was the reason to try them.
      This is as far as I got today. Springs loaded into RRXMG. Setup was sort of a pain. I had expected these to have the same tension as the originals. I guess heavy duty actually meant something. In the end I'm running 2 springs & had to adjust the claw. I never have been good @ setting the spring tension.
      The tools & 3 springs installed.

Resulting too much spring tension.

Final 2 spring install
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Those heavy duty springs are nice. However, theyre not really noiseless as advertised. I still had to put some foam in both my ESP and Jackson to keep them from ringing. Also, that coating on the springs can sometimes get sticky. For instance, at an outdoor gig during the day it was really hot and the guitar had been outside for a while to acclimate. I picked it up and went to check the tuning, it was good, the I moved the trem back and forth a few.times. on the initial push downward there was some slight resistance then it kind of popped loose. I had to fix the tuning after that. Its not some major flaw to worry about but its a small detail thats good to be aware of.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

I've never seen one of those claws. Seems like it would be much better due to more contact with the body.

Have been curious about the springs, what gauge strings and what tuning were you attempting with 3 springs?
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

Yeah the Schaller Claw is cool. I dig it over a traditional claw.
            stings are 9-46 tuned 1/2 step down (E flat).

Comment

Made some progress & pics to correspond.
              Tools for the task (fretboard looked a little dry as well)

OFR torn apart. I noticed, as you may have as well, some corrosion on the ends of the lock screws. Probably not the best solution but I used some 0000 steel wool & the fretboard oil to clean them & the whole OFR.

Damnit. Followed same procedure to seat bar collar, but used a piece of cardboard box while hammering it in to fully seat. Collar broke through cardboard & the result. No major damage but annoying.

OFR all put together. Prior to installing block I test fitted on the SLSXMG as the bar looked taller than the gold one I put on the RRXMG.

Next update will be install & setting intonation.

Comment

Installed & intonation set.

As you can see the bar has plenty of height without set screw spacer or mods.

Spring setup/arrangement. Now I just need to find the back cover.
                Last edited by Hamner1; 07-22-2015, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X