lowest tuning possible on 24.75" scale length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowest tuning possible on 24.75" scale length

I have a Jackson Fusion that I was considering tuning down to B standard. Now I've heard 24.75" scale length guitars can have trouble with intonation at low tunings... would B be too low? If so what is the lowest tuning I could get away with?

It could work, but the saddle might have to go back real far and might run out of room to intonate. You'd also want at least a 60 gauge string on there. You'll have to try it yourself and see.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Didn't Tony Iommi tune to C with 008's?
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I believe he did. That's too floppy, but he did it because he lost two finger tips and couldn't feel the strings.

Comment

I can't play on less than 10s in E, spaghetti noodles

Best way to find out is to try it. Throw some srv strings on there and drop it like it's hot! DR has some 13-65s
          I'm going to give you the keys to the Lamborghini

Comment

I've run my Les Paul with 11s(?) BEADGB but wasn't playing much lead. Seemed ok, for power chords. Was thinking about doing AEADGB on one of my 25.5 scale guitars but can't pick which one.
            Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

just buy a bass

Comment

Originally posted by artonsafari View Post
                I've run my Les Paul with 11s(?) BEADGB but wasn't playing much lead. Seemed ok, for power chords. Was thinking about doing AEADGB on one of my 25.5 scale guitars but can't pick which one.
                B tuning on a 6-string is B-E-A-D-F♯-B

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  B tuning on a 6-string is B-E-A-D-F♯-B
                  Was easier for me to think of it like a regular 6 string tuned to E only that was at the 5th string position then adding a low B and chopping off the high E.
                  Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Yeah, you can do it that way. The transposed G would kinda bug me a little, but I guess you can get used to it.

Comment

Zakk Wylde tunes his 24.75 guitars super low at times. But on those he uses a .070 for the bottom string. A regular nut will have to be seriously cut to accommodate it, but a Floyd nut works fine.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by VoiceX3 View Post
                        Zakk Wylde tunes his 24.75 guitars super low at times. But on those he uses a .070 for the bottom string. A regular nut will have to be seriously cut to accommodate it, but a Floyd nut works fine.
                        This is true. I think he tunes the rest of his strings standard and just drops the lowest string to B sometimes.

Comment

i was in a band that tuned drop g and that was on a squire tele with god knows what custom gauge set of strings. (i didn't last long in that band)
                          no sig.....

Comment

Anything below B or Drop A, I'd get a baritone of at least 26" scale, and at least a 76 gauge string depending how tight you want the tension.
                            On my Carvin 8-string that's 27" scale, I use at least an 80 or 82 for the low F# string.

Comment

Eventually, pants are going to be worn so low that we will call them socks.

Comment

Working...
                              X