Question about filling holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about filling holes

So i have this DBZ which came with an ugly pick guard that i've already taken off (nothing was mounted to it, it's a rear routed guitar) but now I have these five holes on the face of the guitar. I am sending it to be repainted with a custom graphic next month and wanted to know if there's any trips to filling those holes? I was going to take a dowel and glue it into the different holes but I don't know how that's going to affect the new paint, should I put something on it? I don't know if she's going to do anything to the existing paint or just paint over what's there (I know nothing about this stuff sorry)

I'm guess curious what is the best way of prepping this so it won't come back to bite me after she paints the guitar
    In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

for screw holes I would just glue in tooth picks. Over fill the hole with glue, push picks in and let set. Then snap of the picks. Lightly sand the whole body with 600 grit sand paper (just to take the "gloss" off) then spray with a primer.....

Comment

You shouldn't even have to shoot it in primer since it's not bare wood. The factory paint is primer enough. if you scuff it properly the new paint will adhere to it just fine.
      In memory of Gary Wright 9/13/2012

Comment

For filling small holes in guitar bodies, I use this stuff...

(*Also available in smaller tubes...)

Comment

If I use epoxy how long should I let it cure (is that the right spelling, even right term?) before I send it off to paint? I know (well I'm under the impression) that it may shrink over a bit of time but I'm not sure how long that is. Or is that just the wood filler stuff? Sorry I know I sound completely ignorant, but then again that's why I'm asking

I have a bunch of epoxy I used for other stuff so that will be easy enough. cool, thank you everyone
          Last edited by eakinj; 06-06-2015, 01:05 PM.
          In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

Working...
          X