In progress - small batch of Elitas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In progress - small batch of Elitas

So last summer, my friend and fellow guitar builder Mike Potvin asked me to check out some Explorer templates that he made. They're really nice, but being someone that's not into short scale guitars, I didn't figure that I'd be putting the set to use any time soon. I'd been listening to The Runaways a fair amount and one morning, on my way out the door, I saw the templates and thought I'd make one inspired by Lita Ford's black Hamer Special, but there was one problem; who's gonna buy it? Thankfully, that was sorted out later in the day when I had posted some pix about it on facebook.

A few other folks showed interest, so I decided that I'd make it an unofficial model and only build 5 of them. I decided to call it the Elita (see what I did there?) and here are some pics of the guitars. The batch has sold out, and I have no plans to make any more of them, but I thought I'd share nonetheless.

Elita #1 is a one piece black limba body (yep. one piece!), 3pc limba neck, ebony fretboard, 22 stainless steel frets, Habanero pickups from Grover (they're excellent, btw), blah blah blah. Here we go!

One piece black limba slab

Fretboard inlaid: I love these hollow blocks!

Necks and bodies for Elitas #1 and #2

Neck pocket complete

Bound and taped

22 bits of stainless steel goodness:

Backshape roughed in

Back contours roughed in

Scraping binding

As it is now. Behind it is the Galaxy V from a previous thread, as well as Elita #2 (and if you look verrrrrrrrrrry closely, you can see part of a '92 model)

Elita #2 has a spanish cedar body and neck, ebony board with no inlays, and will have a very subtle paint job.

Neck shaped

ALL HOLES DRILLED!

After seeing this pic of the body contours on the back, Tracy asked if I could contour the neck heel. Why not?

Let's get started

That oughta do!

Instructions are important:

Basecoat:

Color:

More later!
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Elita #3 is kinda on hold for the moment, but #4 is a bolt on, one hum, one vol, mahogany body, maple neck, ebony board kinda thing. Here's the neck:

Elita #5 is a lefty with a mahogany body, maple neck, ebony fretboard, headplate, and truss rod cover, white binding, 24 stainless steel frets, and will have a hipshot hardtail bridge. Here's the neck:

Binding party!

That's the Elitas for now!
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

WOW!! Those look great (as always) Sully!!

Comment

Absolutely killer Sully. You never fail to impress!
        "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Amazing work on the contour job. It looks perfect.

Even though I know the fingerboards are taped off, the headstock pics make me jump at first glance.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            Even though I know the fingerboards are taped off, the headstock pics make me jump at first glance.
            Kinda makes you want a metalflake fretboard, eh?
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I wonder why everybody seems to prefer reverse headstocks on their guitars...

How much more do you charge for a one piece body, Sully?

Comment

Originally posted by Cosmiceddie View Post
                I wonder why everybody seems to prefer reverse headstocks on their guitars...

How much more do you charge for a one piece body, Sully?
                It depends on the wood, really, and how scarce it is.
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Most awesome Sully...

Comment

Wow awesome guitars once again sully! But why tease us after they are sold out! Do you post these projects/ small batchs anywhere so we can get in on them? mYbe Facebook? Nice work man!

Comment

Originally posted by z1n View Post
                      Wow awesome guitars once again sully! But why tease us after they are sold out! Do you post these projects/ small batchs anywhere so we can get in on them? mYbe Facebook? Nice work man!
                      The facebook page (here's a link) is a great place to stay updated, and there's a mailing list you can join as well right here (I don't send out a million updates, I promise). If you get to the facebook page, don't just Like it, get notifications so that you'll see updates more often.

Sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

#1 is back from paint. Whee!

Switch tip was made from cow bone by a friend of mine. Sadly, this is my last one.

Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                          Basecoat:

I'm digging the base coat just the way that is. The orange sparkles look great, but I'm really digging that black and silver look.
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I don't know how I missed this. Awesome!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

You had me until the reverse headstock Sully. It just looks off with that body shape. To my eye the lower horn of the body weights the look to that direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X