Need some help... fret buzz....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help... fret buzz....

Ive got some upper fret buzz I can't figure out. Starts at the 12th fret on the lower 3 strings. I do not wanna lower the action... I've adjusted the truss rod probably about 1 full turn over period of about a month. The buzz gets better, but it's not gone. The truss rod is tight so I'm afraid to adjust any further... (Also, all of the strings sound a little bit muted on this guitar... can't figure that one out either... Doesn't ring out clear and crisp like all my other guitars do)
    What's goin on here? Anybody? Thanks in advance.
    2015-04-26 16.08.15.jpg
    Hardware: all black, all the time.

Maybe a fret dress is in order?

Comment

How high is your action, what's your neckrelief?
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

A quick and dirty way to set your truss rod is to fret any string at the first and last fret. You should be able to fit a business card between the string and the top of the 12th fret. Once you have the neck relief that way, you can eliminate that as a source of the buzz.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

^ good advice.

Without seeing the guitar in person, it's kinda difficult to figure out exactly what the issue is. Could just be the truss is overtightened, undertightened, maybe a simple or complex warping.

If you can afford it, find a local guitar shop with a Plek mill. A bit spendy, but absolutely worth it.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

also you can check for a high fret. You will need a straight edge that covers 3 frets, then lay it across the frets and make sure it doesn't see saw.

Comment

At the 12th fret a .010 feeler gauge moves the string... (Indicating it should be adjusted more?). Trouble is the truss rod is tight... Hard to turn... I'm afraid of damage if I over-tighten... How much can I go?

Comment

Frets are level... No see-sawing.

Comment

If you need more relief to raise strings you loosen the truss rod (counter clockwise). Tightening the truss rod brings the strings closer to frets and back bows the neck. Someone please correct me if im wrong.

Comment

Yes, I get that... I'm afraid of over adjusting and causing damage... I've always been able to adjust and set up my guitars, this one is giving me extreme stress. I can't figure this one out. I'm getting extremely frustrated

Comment

So, you're pretty sure you've loosened it as far as you can and don't have enough relief? This problem has come up here a few times. There are some suggestions in this thread:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/104...ef-is-005-quot

Comment

Not positive I've gone as far as I can... Afraid to find out...

Comment

Only one way to find out..
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Does anyone think changing string gauge may help...?

Comment

Loosen the truss rod in quarter turn increments. I think you may have overtightened it.

Comment

Working...
                              X