Paint chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint chips

Hello all what is the best way to stop the clear coat from continuing to lift around chips in the paint. One of my guitars I bought used has a few paint chips and the clear is really starting to lift around the chips if possible I would like to stop them from going any farther.
    thank you for all the help
    Rich

I usually use that as an excuse for a refin. I've done that numerous times with great success.

I use clear nail polish or Super Glue but I'm not concerned about aesthetics.

IF you are, Google this up and you'll find what you seek.
    Last edited by Matt_B; 05-15-2015, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks Matt I'll give the nail polish a try
      Rich

Comment

I've been carefully touching up guitars using nail polish for color and super glue for clear. I've rebuilt pointy headstock tips. Be very carefully - super glue can destroy the finish if you don't keep it under control. I got one of those super glue kits with multiple thicknesses. Try not to use the accelerator. I use it only in emergencies, like the glue is too runny.

Comment

Thanks Matt and Don I have decided to go the super glue method it looks to be the best way to get under the clear that has lifted I'll let you know how it turns out.
          Rich

Comment

Well after checking out the clear real close the guitar has been refinished and not a very good one the clear is way to thin and none of the dings were fixed before the paint was applied so I have decided to just leave it alone.

Comment

Ouch. Sorry to heat that Rich.

Comment

I was talking OEM finishes. If it was a refin, I'd maybe switch to clear nail polish for the clear coat.

Check into Duplicolor (car touch up) as well.

Comment

Thank you Matt and Don for your replys. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to leave it as is and make it a player as soon as I start back at learning to play wrist surgery had put a serious dent in learning.
                  thanks again Rich

Comment

Working...
                  X