Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Rhoads blueprint

Does anybody know where I can find one?

I've accepted that one won't be readily available, and I'll have to make one using a Rhoads as a template. But that leads me to another question... Does anybody know if the body dimensions are different between 22 and 24 fret bolt-on Rhoads models? I have several bolt-on Rhoads' that I can trace, but I'm considering building a 24 fret version. There's a 24 fret JS at my store that I could trace instead. Suppose I should just bring mine in to compare if nobody knows anything.

/ramble
    "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

I would think the only difference between 22/24 frets would be the placement of the neck pickup, my 24-fret fusions' humbuckers are closer together than those on my 22 fret Epi LP
    25.5" scale from nut to bridge remains 25.5" no matter the amount of frets
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

But... 24 fret necks don't intonate on 22 fret bodies.
      "Today, I shat a brown monolith ..majestic enough for gods to stand upon" BillZ aka horns666

Comment

apologies, I forgotten that the neckpockets would be different

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I believe Warmouth makes an adaption neck. IRIC.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I have built one before. I just traced the body of my RR1 and mirrored the long horn. It was for a member on the JCF. It was designed for a 24 fret Jackson neck. I have more pics, but I don't know how to load photos straight from my computer.
            Last edited by ulijdavid; 05-11-2015, 05:10 AM.

Comment

He built that for me about 6 years ago. I just played it a little this morning. Everthing is still top notch!

Comment

That guitar comes up in google images when searching for double Rhoads. Pretty sweet bro.

My predecessor at GC is working at a woodshop now. He's quite the craftsman. He told me he has some nice Black Walnut boards, and after shooting the shit a bit, he's gonna cut me a body out of that, with a flame maple center, Caparison style. I'm stoked.

I too am gonna do a top mounted Floyd, mainly so I can use a D-Tuna.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                  I would think the only difference between 22/24 frets would be the placement of the neck pickup, my 24-fret fusions' humbuckers are closer together than those on my 22 fret Epi LP
                  25.5" scale from nut to bridge remains 25.5" no matter the amount of frets
                  It's not the placement of the pickups, it's the placement of the bridge.
                  If you put a 24 fret neck on a guitar built for a 22 fret neck, the bridge will have to be moved forward to maintain the 25.5" scale.

Remember, a body blank can be a 22 fret or 24 fret. It just depends on the location of the bridge.

Also, a Fusion is 24.75" scale.
                  Last edited by rjohnstone; 05-11-2015, 02:57 PM.
                  -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                    It's not the placement of the pickups, it's the placement of the bridge.
                    If you put a 24 fret neck on a guitar built for a 22 fret neck, the bridge will have to be moved forward to maintain the 25.5" scale.
                    Remember, a body blank can be a 22 fret or 24 fret. It just depends on the location of the bridge.
                    Or you can set the neck deeper into the body

Not to sound like a wiseass, but in these 2 pictures of an RR24m and a RR1 the Floyd looks to be in the same place on the body whereas the 24m fret board seems to extend further towards the bridge

Also, a Fusion is 24.75" scale.
                    It was about the placement of the neck p'up with 2 extra frets
                    because of the extra 2 frets on my fusion, the neck pickup is placed closer towards the bridge than my 22 fret Epi LP

the 25.5" 24 fret RRXMG shows the fretboard depth even better because of the neck p'up, you can also see the closer placed p'ups

check that 21st fretmarker, although the RR24m seems a bit off, the 21st on the RRXMG is in the exact position as the one on the RR1

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                      Or you can set the neck deeper into the body
                      +1. I think on many body types you lose too much upper fret access. So, they often shift the bridge forward to compensate.

Comment

If the body was originally made for a 22 fret neck, a 24 fret neck will throw off the intonation. If the body was made for a 24 fret neck, then a 22 fret neck will throw off the intonation.

Once you have the nut-to-bridge measurements set, you can add frets by simply extending the neck further into the body. The heel of a 24 fret neck is longer than that of a 22 fret neck, and in some cases wider at the base. While a 22 fret neck will fit in a 24 fret pocket, you'll have gaps on either side in addition to intonation problems. A 24 fret neck heel is generally too wide to fit a 22 fret pocket, at least in my experience (then again I've found some 24 fret DK2M necks will not fit into the pocket of a WRMG, but will fit a WRXT).

It may be possible to mod a 22 fret body's pocket to accept a 24 fret neck, but the operation may cause more problems than it solves, with the neck pickup issue as well as with mounting holes in both the neck and body having to be filled and drilled, and the front end of the pocket needing to be cut down to preserve playing comfort if not fret access. On the surface it may look like you're simply extending the pocket and losing the neck pickup to allow for the extra frets, but it goes deeper than that.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hence, I said to go to, I think it's Warmouth, the makes a conversion neck that has the last two frets on the fret board but not on the neck itself. It looks like a shelf that goes past the body end of the neck.
                          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Didn't someone on this forum post pics of an RR3 body he modded to accommodate a 24 fret neck?

IIRC, it worked out well for him (but it's probably not something for the inexperienced to attempt)...

Comment

I love how my request for a Double Rhoads template sparked a neck debate. I'm still waiting for Metallica vs. Megadeth.

I'm going to use a Jackson 24 fret neck. I'm also going to be drilling for the bridge myself, so intonation isn't a problem. My 22 vs. 24 concern was the neck pocket, as I want to use a Jackson neck.

Oh, Nightbat, those neckthrough models are completely different. Compare those pictures to bolt-on versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X