Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

routing into a painted guitar body for a spoke-wheek truss rod, bad idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• routing into a painted guitar body for a spoke-wheek truss rod, bad idea?

I have a custom painted guitar body and I'd prefer to purchase a neck with the spoke-wheel truss rod. The body will need a small rout for the end of the wheel.

What's the procedures to do this properly without chipping the paint around the cut? I will getting a Luthier to do it for sure. But if it messes up the paint around the cut that would piss me off.

I would assume scoring it and taping it first would help..and prob depends on the type of finish...good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
      I would assume scoring it and taping it first would help..and prob depends on the type of finish...good luck!
      It has high-end PPG paint with many layers of clear. The paint is stunning and it really stands out.

The person that would be working on it has has repaired several Les Paul guitars for Paul Stanley, So I think it would be in good hands.

Comment

For reference you can add a spoke truss rod nut to a neck with a standard heel nut. Stew Mac sells the nuts and they fit Charvel necks. I've had two of my Charvel necks (US Production and Custom Shop) modified for them.

Comment

I think because the neck I want is a two piece, the body will need to be routed also.

Comment

Yeah the body needs to be routed but what I was referring to was you don't need to find a neck with a spoked truss rod nut already installed. You can add them after the fact. Just letting you know of an option, that's all.

Comment

Sounds like you need a pointy neck on there!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                Yeah the body needs to be routed but what I was referring to was you don't need to find a neck with a spoked truss rod nut already installed. You can add them after the fact. Just letting you know of an option, that's all.
                That would be a good idea for my MIM Charvel! Taking off the neck to adjust the truss rod is not the greatest thing, especially when the paint starts to crack from taking it off and putting it back on all the time

Comment

I'm a big fan of the spoke truss rod system. Def. go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by lefty View Post
                    I'm a big fan of the spoke truss rod system. Def. go for it!
                    This first guitar I had with a spoke-wheel was a Peavey HP special, I remember not knowing what it was until someone at the store told me :d

Comment

Working...
                    X