How to clean oiled maple neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean oiled maple neck?

How do you clean an oiled maple neck and fretboard, such as is common in Charvels?

There was just a thread on this subject, very recently though I have to ask why do want to clean it?

Comment

You don't! It's only going to get grungy again after a couple
      hours playing time...

But, if you insist, here's the best advice out there:

http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-m...-man-neck.html

I would add though, if you're going to use a toothbrush, make sure it's really soft,
      and well broken-in [e.g. you've brushed your teeth with it a couple hundred times]
      so there aren't any burrs on it to scratch your neck/board...

And the Birchwood Casey products are great. With all the cleaning/conditioning
      products, remember to use sparingly! A little goes a long way!

Comment

Keep in mind you won't be able to get all the darkenss off of it.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Leave it dirty!!! In 25 years people will be like - look at that well played axe!
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            Leave it dirty!!! In 25 years people will be like - look at that well played axe!
            Yep, I prefer the look of my EBMM Axis with the patina on it,
            but that's an exceptional birdseye that would look great clean too...

Comment

Was going to start a thread but decided to do a search option which led me here:

Apart from not cleaning the neck, is it necessary to maintain the oiled neck in any way by re-applying oil after a certain amount of years?
              Like how have you handled your Charvel neck from '86? Has it never been re-oiled? Thanks

Comment

To clean it, just use lemon oil with an old toothbrush and a rag.

If it's got gunstock oil or tung oil on it, you can always reapply the oil after a certain amount of years, but some people don't even bother.
                Lefty gave some good advice in the link he posted. http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-m...-man-neck.html

It's been three months since the OP started this thread, but he seems to not care any more.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                X