Direct mount without drilling through threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct mount without drilling through threads

My RRTMG has EMG 81 in the bridge that has no low end and crappy mids. Want to try the set of AHB-1 Blackouts I have here but don't want to drill the threads. Anyone found a good way of doing this without having a extra pickup baseplate (charvelsteen's way) or paying $45 + shipping for the FU-tone plates? No smaller screws are gonna fit through and still not mess up the pickup mounting holes in the guitar.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

The screws that Charvel used on my fiesta red wildcard ProMod usa worked fine with the existing threading and didn't require drilling out the mounting legs on Duncan trembuckers
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

That would be nice.. I'll give them a shot later. Thanks man.

Comment

When I changed the OEM p'ups In my Ibanez (Which has much deeper 'legholes' ) for EMG's,
        I just cut a few normal p'up mounting bolts a mm (since the screws were conical ) shorter than the length of the woodscrews and used those.

Even though the p'ups themselves are only padded with a bit of foam and not really solidly placed on the body (because the EMGs have normal length legs).
        After 15 years, the bolts are still holding
        "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The direct mount screws don't fit through the threaded holes, not even close.. Crap..
          Nightbat - Do you mean you ran the normal fine thread pickup screw into the wood and it held? That's what I was thinking about trying. I have a few of those screws around I can cut to length, grind off a few threads by the head, and see if they'll run into the wood. I really just need it to work to try the pickups. If I like them, I'll drill them and mount better..

Comment

Yup. You probably need even less length than I did, my ibanez is mahogany
            not the hardest wood, but it still holds
            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Cool. I'll give it a shot tonight.

Comment

I'm not quite sure if I'm answering the original question, but there's an easy way I've found to direct mount a pickup without drilling the threads - pick a screw that has the same thread as the pickup (or close enough to force it though LOL). Then use a file to smooth out the thread by the head of the screw, so once the screw head is in contact with the leg it'll just turn freely. And there you have it - you can adjust the pickup height still..
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

That's what I'm planning, grind a few threads by the head. Problem is, not knowing if the pickups are staying in the guitar or not, I don't want to mess up the threads in the pickup OR the guitar. Fine threads on the pickup screws and coarse thread on the direct mount screws/holes in the guitar. Haven't had the chance to try the fine threads in the direct mount holes yet.. Should have time tonight.. This is my only direct mount guitar and don't want to mess up threads in a bunch of pickups just for trial and error.. lol

Comment

Well you can always glue some toothpicks or whatever into the guitar itself, should you mess up the mounting holes. The pickup is a bit more of a problem if you drill those holes out though..
                    Popular is not the same as good
                    Rare is not the same as valuable
                    Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I went through my stash yesterday and found 2 things. An 81 to connect in and verify if there's something different or wrong with the one that's in here now. And some old crap pickups that I can take the baseplate off and use to direct-ish mount without modifying except for a few small holes in the route. Hopefully I'll get a chance to play with it all this weekend..

Comment

Working...
                      X