EMG 85 tone but with 81 bite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG 85 tone but with 81 bite?

I was wondering if anyone has found an EMG for the bridge has the tone and "oomph" of an 85 but has the bite and crunch of an 81?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Not an EMG but the Seymour Duncan Blackout Mick Thompson EMTYs do it all. Super heavy and defined chunk or articulate cleans that feel very organic. I have them in 2 guitars a SL2H Soloist and a DK2M and they are awesome in both.
    "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
    ENGL Powerball II
    Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
    Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
    Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
    1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
    1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
    2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
    2011 Jackson DK2M Black
    1987 Charvel Model 2 White
    2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
    1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
    1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
    2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
    2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
    2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
    2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
    2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
    2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
    2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
    1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Is there much difference between the EMTY and the AHB-1? I have a set of AHB-1 I'm planning on trying (if I ever get time to swap them..).

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
        Is there much difference between the EMTY and the AHB-1? I have a set of AHB-1 I'm planning on trying (if I ever get time to swap them..).
        They are quite different. The EMTY has considerably less bass, and has more mids than the AHB-1. Overall it's a tighter and more articulate pickup. It's like a thicker sounding version of the EMG-81.

Another pickup to consider is the EMG Het Set bridge. It definitely fits the description of "oomph" of an 85 with has the bite and crunch of an 81.

Comment

The good ol Super Distortion is kinda between them, IMO.

Not as dark as the 85, but a bit more crunch. Even better down tuned a little.

I'd just suggest to get a decent EQ pedal. You could always brighten up an 85 a little.
          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
            The EMTY has considerably less bass, and has more mids than the AHB-1.
            That's not what I'm looking for. The 81 in this RRTMG seems to have no bass and the mids are really lacking. I almost wonder if there's something wrong with it. Before I try anything, I found another 81 in my stash yesterday I'm gonna connect in to see if it's different. And I may look into the Het Set. Thanks man.
            Originally posted by xenophobe View Post
            The good ol Super Distortion is kinda between them, IMO.

Not as dark as the 85, but a bit more crunch. Even better down tuned a little.

I'd just suggest to get a decent EQ pedal. You could always brighten up an 85 a little.
            I always found the SD to be a great for 80's mid heavy and classic rock stuff. Like it for that, but not for what I want with this guitar. And I have a M108 EQ pedal. Took it (and all pedals) out of the chain a long time ago. This is the only guitar that sounds bad through my rig. Not looking to change the "post-guitar" signal.. Thanks to you too!

Comment

Working...
            X