Headstock crack.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock crack.

Do I buy the guitar and not worry about it, or is this a 'be cautious' crack?

Looks like maybe a finish crack?
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

That's what I was thinking - Finish.
      But it seems like an odd spot for a crack in the finish. And structurally, if it is more than just the finish... eventual headstock repair.

Comment

Yes, it could be a stress crack caused by over tightened truss or a bump at some point. Playing it would definitely let you know if its an issue. Could also have been cause by weather effecting the wood. ( I know severe weather effects my wood.
        I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

I have a student RR with the same cracks- plural. Has a bunch. All finish, cause no issue. Apparently with the older painted necks it's not uncommon.

Comment

I'd go with Vass. But if it has a mushy feeling, well hotspot it after cleaning the crack out. Might help know what it is an year.
            I know the old saying that the value of an opinion is generally inversely proportional to the strength with which it is held.

Comment

It is an RR24.
              V's aren't really my thing anymore, but I am going to be driving through the area in a few days and the price is ok.

Comment

Hmm, that's a hard one. Probably OK. Stress cracks in that spot usually happen vertically across the neck, not horizontally down its length.

Comment

Can you feel it? If so its probably just in the clear coat.
                  You could stick a clamp on it to see if the pressure closes the crack that way you would know its in the wood.
                  If the neck is raw just bleed in thin super glue and clamp it.
                  Looks like a matt clear on it so probably a finish crack.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X