Archtop vs Flat-top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archtop vs Flat-top

What's the difference between an archtop solid bodied electric vs a flat top ? For example - Jackson Soloist SL2H and SLA2H ? Or Ibanez RG vs RGA. Or, dare I say an archtop les paul vs a flat top (if they are made that is). All differences ? Tonal, Feel, Sustain, etc. Or is it simply cosmetic ?
    Last edited by Yash; 02-11-2015, 09:01 AM.

I love the feel of archtops - the volume knob normally "in the way" is out of the way because of the angled arch body.

Tone wise, my archtops tend to be preferred as well. They just seem to sound better.
    Last edited by DonP; 02-12-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

I think it's largely cosmetic, although they will feel different to play because of the different geometry of the designs. The SL2H has a beveled armrest which will feel different under your forearm to the bound edge of an archtop. The height of the bridge relative to the edge of the body will also feel different between arch- and flat-tops.

Tonal changes could come from whether either guitar has a maple top. Most flat-tops don't, although some have figured tops. Some archtops are carved out of the body wood, although many have maple caps from which the top is carved.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

I have an arch top DKMGT and a flat top SL2HT and the thing I notice the most is the lack of a forearm contour on the arch top. When switching from the SL to the DK, it does feel a bit uncomfortable on the forearm, but only for a short time.
        96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

Its fairly simple. Arch tops have a bump. Flat tops are --- flat.

Everything else is a case by case basis.
          A different shape (more wood) may or may not make tone different. It may play different. Some flat tops aren't flat, they have an arm contour or have rounded edges.
          Any number of things...

But the basic answer is what I said at the top.
          Archtops are arched, flat tops are flat.

Comment

Tone wise, my bolt on arch top sounds much different than the Soloist because the pups are EMG 81/85 and the Soloist is passive Duncans.
            But, acoustically, the arch top is much louder and brighter with more sustain. The strings are identical and they're both alder.

I suppose some would argue it's the bolt on vs neck thru feature that's causing my acoustic differences.
            96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

If your archy has a maple cap/veneer and is not simply carved alder, the extra acoustic volume and brightness is due to the cap being a more dense wood, hence it reflects acoustic sound more. As well, regardless of the wood for the top, the sound waves reflecting off a curved surface appear to have more volume and treble because they reflect off the body at a different angle than with a flat-body.

It's a similar principle to any other sound source - angle to the ear influences the tone.

And yes, they do make a non-arched LP - I think it's the Special.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                And yes, they do make a non-arched LP - I think it's the Special.
                Special and Junior would be the two typical flat les pauls. But there are many flattops, especially signature models.

Comment

No cap, just alder.
                  And, it's a super thin satin finish...which based on sound reflecting off hard vs soft surfaces... I'd assume would be harder and more reflective than the thick gloss finish on my flat top.
                  Originally posted by Newc View Post
                  If your archy has a maple cap/veneer and is not simply carved alder

Comment

Long standing argument as to which sounds better so its all how it sounds to you.
                    Can't get much flatter than a 57 LP Jr but this thing is very loud unplugged (acoustically resonant).
                    Plugged in its a monster.
                    Attached Files
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                    X