Shimming a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shimming a neck

I am not asking how to shim. I know "how", plus there are countless webpages available for that.

BUT

I picked up a guitar in need of some tweaking.
    The trem studs are screwed in as far as they can go. The action is still high.
    I would love to raise the trem probably 1/4 to 3/8".
    I didn't measure because its so high, but the action needs lowered from its current state at least 1/8" (at the 22nd fret).
    The relief is good.

So, how big of a shim do I need?
    And should I start flat, or should I try an angle?

Other suggestions?

*** Oh, I guess I do need to ask this question though...
    The heel is not squared. Its rounded, like on Ibanez guitars.
    Will this make a difference in making an angled shim?
    Meaning....
    Do I angle it on a linear scale -- one giant triangle. With the center most edge of the shim at 0.011 and the left most edge at 0.020 because its further up the triangle.
    Or do I somehow make the entire rounded edge 0.011.

IF YOU EVEN UNDERSTAND MY REFERENCE?

You may be surprised how much the neck angle changes with a shim the thickness of a standard business card - so I'd start there. As far as tapering a shim....well I've never bothered. Too much work for what I think is very questionable science behind bending / warping neck heels. And right or wrong, I've taken apart a lot of guitars that had non-tapered shims - some factory - with no ill effects. Just my experience FWIW.

Mark
    "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

But we're talking a 1/2 inch total.
      I've done some great work with credit cards, but not that much. LOL

Comment

Use wood, not metal. Metal shims can be slippery in there.

Comment

You may have problems with your posts if you raise the bridge that high, if they are the Floyd stlye mounting inserts they are only around 3/4" long .

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRR View Post
            You may have problems with your posts if you raise the bridge that high, if they are the Floyd stlye mounting inserts they are only around 3/4" long .
            Good point.

*I'd like to be able to do a pull up without banging against the recess.
            *Right now, I can't put the trem cover on because the block extends beyond the body.

Comment

Sticky back sandpaper makes great neck shims.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Is this a factory made axe or a partscaster? Sounds like some crazy dynamics going on.

You could always route the neck pocket for an angle and sink the neck deeper in the pocket. I did and to this day I still play this axe (my first) after 30 years and it still sounds killer.

Comment

Got it used. Allegedly, its original. But it was taken apart and --- fully modified.
                  While I didn't pull it apart yet to check 'neck pocket info', the parts (body, neck, trem) match up to the factory specs. I'd like to have a plan of attack before I take the strings off and rip it apart.

The story was - he got arrested. Got out. And just never started playing again. Its been sitting a few years - and it looked it.
                  So I accepted its condition. But, now, here I am actually looking the thing over and trying to do some initial tweaks and I realize all of the little things.

Comment

This isn't an Ibanez by any chance?

I had the same issue with an RG2570Z. I used a strip from a pizza menu folded once. It worked a treat. And this was a newly purchased from the box guitar.

Comment

Coincidentally, I just put it up as finished today.
                      Yeah, it was an older Ibanez S. But the guy had modded it.
                      The neck and body both looked to be sanded, which is probably why it had such a poor angle. But its all fixed up now.

Comment

I just removed a shim in a dorked up MIM Strat. Was pulling my hair out why I had to have the bridge and saddles so high, and sure as shit, there was a shim in the neck pocket.

Comment

Working...
                        X