Useless Truss Rod Adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useless Truss Rod Adjustment

I have a guitar --- the truss has a bullet tip. (and I hate those to begin with)

I have loosened it all the way. I still need to adjust the neck just a smidge. Another 1/4 turn would most likely do it, maybe a half.

Normally, I could put on heavier strings to pull the neck forward.
    But this has a Floyd on it.

1. Will heavier strings still do the trick, or do the springs counteract the effect?
    2. Any suggestions?

The heavier strings should do the trick. It will take more spring tension (or more springs) to achieve pitch (say standard for reference) with heavier strings - so screwing in the spring claw (or adding springs) until the base plate is "level" will create that increased force. That increased force is transferred to the neck.

Hope this makes sense.

Mark
    "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Heavier strings may work. It makes no difference if it's a trem or a fixed bridge.

Comment

You could try this, I did it once with a cheapo guitar that had the same problem you're having. However, it could be risky, thats why I did it on a cheapo.

The truss was completely loose like yours. I put some super heavy strings on it. Ran the spring claw screws in pretty far. Then started tuning it up until the neck started to bow pretty good. Then I leaned it against the wall in the bathroom while I took a nice steamy shower. After that I left it leaning on the wall in my bedroom for about 2 days. After that time the neck had plenty of bow in it and stayed that way after I took the heavy strings off. I was then able to put it back like I normally had it and be able to ajust the neck to where I wanted it.
        My Toys:
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
        '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
        '94 Dinky HX in Black
        '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Are the threads on both the truss rod and nut clean and free of gunk?
          If you need back bow just add a few small washers on the rod and screw the nut back on and see what happens.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
            I put some super heavy strings on it. Ran the spring claw screws in pretty far. Then started tuning it up until the neck started to bow pretty good. Then I leaned it against the wall in the bathroom while I took a nice steamy shower. After that I left it leaning on the wall in my bedroom for about 2 days. After that time the neck had plenty of bow in it and stayed that way after I took the heavy strings off. I was then able to put it back like I normally had it and be able to ajust the neck to where I wanted it.
            Leaning on the headstock? or did you have something to prop it on behind the nut.

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            Are the threads on both the truss rod and nut clean and free of gunk?
            If you need back bow just add a few small washers on the rod and screw the nut back on and see what happens.
            Sorry, I need 'forward bow'.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
              Sorry, I need 'forward bow'.
              You need relief.

Actually, when a neck dries out (I bought a MIM Strat this way), it tends to bend more under the strings, and frets start to sprout. I left mine under tuned and put my bath towel on it after showering to straighten the neck back out.

Try the heavier strings and springs. But I'm surprised you are having this happen in winter. Usually this is a hot sticky summer problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pianoguyy View Post
                Leaning on the headstock? or did you have something to prop it on behind the nut.
                I just leaned it against the wall on the headstock.
                My Toys:
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                '94 Dinky HX in Black
                '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Well, after reading the suggestions, implementing them, and a few other little things.
                  What started with 9's tuned to E using 4 springs.
                  Has ended up with 11's tuned to C# with 3 springs. Which, is actually less tension (89.56 down to 88.97). And it seems to be doing ok.

Thanks.

Now, on to the next project...

Comment

Great!

My F'ed up MIM is now a tone monster. I can't put it down - the neck turned out great. I bought it cheap just to chop up into parts but damn this thing with the stupid little MIM bridge keeps me coming back for nailing the Lynch tones. I've got many Lynch tributes with Duncan Distortions and Screamin Demons but the stupid MIM single with the ceramics and hot wind just kicks ass through my DSL100. It's got cut and fatness and the low strings just bang through without mud. And the screaming leads just rule.

Comment

There's some real sleepers in those Mexi strats. I bought one used from a local guy who modded it with a hybred "paf" tele bucker in the bridge,a coil tap mini switch and a mini switch that lets me play the bridge and neck p/u together great player phenomenal tones ...goes to every gig and is the one I always pick up just to noodle with...oh yeah...$300.00 w/case, how can you go wrong!

Comment

Working...
                      X