Question about paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about paint.

I recently bought a Charvel guitar, and it seems like someone has painted over the original paint(which appears to be a cool neon green colour). I was just wondering if any of you know a good way to get it back to the original paint, or am I screwed and should just strip it right down and repaint it? Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong area to post.

It depends on many things, like what kind of paint is on there now.
    If it's rattle can (spray paint) you can use solvents and fine sandpaper to remove it.
    If it's automotive paint (poly urethane), you're most likely screwed.

Also, if the original finish "scuffed" prior to this new paint going on it will make it harder to remove.

The only way to know for sure is to find a spot on the back and try some diluted paint thinner on a rag and start rubbing. See what happens.
    If the old finish was scuffed, you might take some of that off too, but hopefully they just scuffed the clear coat.

There are others here who have done this who could give your more detailed advise.
    I've only seen it done. Never tried it myself. I usually just strip and repaint.
    -Rick

Comment

Okay, thanks for the tip, I appreciate it. I'll definitely try taking a bit off the back.

Comment

Working...
      X