Introducing the Sully '71 model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing the Sully '71 model

Here are some pix of the second '71 prototype. The "First Five" batch of '71s will begin soon; get in touch for details and reserve yours! All kinds of options await you!

This '71 is what I refer to as "dressed up;" it has a mahogany body and neck, flame maple cap (shot honeyburst in a pattern that really accentuates the body shape), ebony fretboard with MOP slash inlays, stainless steel jumbo frets, ivoroid binding around the body and neck, and tortoiseshell side block markers. Pickups are from Habanero Guitar Parts (the fine folks at GJ2); the bridge pickup is a model that I'm testing out it's between the classic and the spicy, and sounds killer! The neck pickup is a Habanero Classic. Bridge is a tone pros wraparound. And yeah, I'll get around to making some truss rod covers soon.

The first prototype is in "stripped down" mode; no figured top or binding, but the body is black limba, and the neck is 3pc black limba, so I guess you could say it's not all that stripped down! The stripped down version allows for body bevels, which is nice. Rosewood board, stainless steel jumbo frets, Gotoh hardware, and Habanero Classic pickups complete the guitar.

...and while we're at it, here's a sneak peek at two of the tops for future '71s. Quilted maple with the angel step pattern is pretty hard to find, so when I find a source, I hoard as much of it as I can. See how the grain moves in a chevron pattern? That occurs when a maple tree twists as it grows (as if it's a towel being wrung out). If you liked the purple swamp ash catfish, it's the same kind of grain pattern. Unreal.

Stay tuned, as the announcement and pre-order will happen in the next few weeks.

Sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Awesome! I'd still love to see one of those with your traditional headstock.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Awesome! I'd still love to see one of those with your traditional headstock.
      It might happen; it was originally designed for that!
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Love the honey burst finish.
        Looks like something Lindsey Buckingham would play. (Which is a good thing).
        They have a modern "Rick Turner" look about them.
        -Rick

Comment

Thanks Rick! Lindsey is one of my favorite players, ever. I've heard the Rick Turner thing before from Jon @ GJ2, and I can sorta see where it comes from. I've found though, that if you go back to the Rick Turner model and then look at the '71, they no longer seem similar. They're a bit bigger in person. It's an interesting visual thing, though!
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Looks awesome Sully...the checker pattern binding might look good on my build

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
              Looks awesome Sully...the checker pattern binding might look good on my build
              We can discuss it!
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                Thanks Rick! Lindsey is one of my favorite players, ever. I've heard the Rick Turner thing before from Jon @ GJ2, and I can sorta see where it comes from. I've found though, that if you go back to the Rick Turner model and then look at the '71, they no longer seem similar. They're a bit bigger in person. It's an interesting visual thing, though!
                Yeah... I flipped back and forth between the two and in an actual side by side, they are obviously different.
                It's more the overall shape that gives it that appearance of similarity.
                I've seen and held a Rick Turner guitar in person before. It is an amazingly compact yet very comfortable guitar. Someday hopefully I'll get my hands on a '71
                -Rick

Comment

Stunning Sully, just stunning! If she plays just half as good, then she's a dream!!! I think you've hooked me.
                  "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

I love the side markers!! Very nice work Sully!!

Comment

Dude, I love that guitar. I think the moto should be like I said in an earlier post. "kinda like a Les Paul...but doesn't suck"......That's just me though.
                      I would totally buy one of those. Awesome.....hmm....Gibson may frown on my quote....
                      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        Yeah... I flipped back and forth between the two and in an actual side by side, they are obviously different.
                        It's more the overall shape that gives it that appearance of similarity.
                        I've seen and held a Rick Turner guitar in person before. It is an amazingly compact yet very comfortable guitar. Someday hopefully I'll get my hands on a '71
                        I totally get where you're coming from, and I take it as a compliment. I was in Austin a year or so ago and found a store that had some Turner acoustic baritone prototypes. Too effin' cool. Lemme know how I can help you get a '71!

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                        Stunning Sully, just stunning! If she plays just half as good, then she's a dream!!! I think you've hooked me.
                        Thanks! I'm happy to say that the two prototypes (as different as they are) have become the first guitars I grab when I wanna play. It's kind of a neat feeling.

Originally posted by bucketbrian45 View Post
                        I love the side markers!! Very nice work Sully!!
                        Thanks!!!

Originally posted by dvscool View Post
                        Dude, I love that guitar. I think the moto should be like I said in an earlier post. "kinda like a Les Paul...but doesn't suck"......That's just me though.
                        I would totally buy one of those. Awesome.....hmm....Gibson may frown on my quote....
                        Well, I don't think that I'd say that Les Pauls suck, but the '71 was designed to be the singlecut that answered the issues that I had with LPs. I hoped that it'd work for others too. Let me know when you're ready for yours. The First Five batch will be announced soon and will be presold. There's gonna be some really cool stuff that will come with the guitar, too.

Sully
                        Sully Guitars on Google+
                        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Flat gorgeous.Love the side markers.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I saw the pics on FB and posted comments, so didn't check in here before. But bored at work while I wait for a system to tick over and so here I am for have another look. Had totally glossed over the sidemarkers on the new pics of the 71 because I've seen that marker style before when you were working them out. Very cool but, you know, I've seen dot markers before too - not going to look too closely at them on every guitar pic online.

To my own detriment I blast past the closeup sidemarker pics on FB. That tort looks so fucking shithot nestled amongst all that ivoroid. How sexy is it against that finish? Just gorgeous. I want to put my tongue on it
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                              To my own detriment I blast past the closeup sidemarker pics on FB. That tort looks so fucking shithot nestled amongst all that ivoroid. How sexy is it against that finish? Just gorgeous. I want to put my tongue on it
                              Hey, thanks man! I had a feeling it'd look cool with the color on the neck. I don't know that I'll do the side block markers when the overall binding theme is light colored; having the dark position markers kinda messes with your brain. But when black or tortoiseshell binding is the dominant color, the ivoroid looks great. I do like how the ivoroid and tort looks next to each other, though.

Sully
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X