Ground BUZZ WHEN touching strings/metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground BUZZ WHEN touching strings/metal

Hey guys I was jamming with the band a few nights ago and ran into an issue with one of my guitars. I have an Ibanez Prestige RG1570 that has a LOUD buzz when touching anything metal, including the strings. Its all original, never been modified. Tried different guitar, amp, cable... the problem is within the guitar itself. I have searched online and it seems I am having the opposite reaction to the usual ground hum when NOT touching metal. The hum gets louder, the harder you press on metal parts or strings. I checked all grounds and solders they are good. The guitar sounds amazing and crystal clear, except for the buzz when not playing. The only thing I have read is that the wires on the output jack might be reversed but the looking at the jack, its never been touched, the tip is the signal side and the sleeve is connected to ground. I also found that turning my TONE pot all the way down caused the buzz to be come even more severe. Could this be a bad capacitor on the tone pot or you guys have any other ideas? Theres also a tiny factory capacitor on the volume pot too.

Its as if im introducing noise on the signal side of the circuit but through the ground components.

Any help would be great if you have any ideas where to look.
    Last edited by morbidguitar; 07-18-2014, 09:42 AM.

Microphonic p'up?
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Possible cold solder joint on the bridge ground. Look for any broken, disconnected, or poorly soldered grounds in the control cavity as well.
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
        Possible cold solder joint on the bridge ground. Look for any broken, disconnected, or poorly soldered grounds in the control cavity as well.
        The bridge is grounded to the tone pot. If I run a new temporary ground wire from the bridge/claw to the output jack ground and it doesn't change, would that indicate a problem inside the output jack (tube style), or within the electronics?

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
        Microphonic p'up?
        Switching through the 3 pickups (2H 1S) doesn't make the buzz any better. Does that rule out microphonic pickup?

Comment

I had the same issue and replacing the 29 year old output jack solved it.

Comment

Originally posted by Catharpin View Post
            I had the same issue and replacing the 29 year old output jack solved it.
            +1 - and that's an easy repair to start with.
            -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Sounds good, ill wire up a test jack and see if it helps. The guitar is a 2001 first year for prestige, getting pretty old already I guess. Ill update with the results.

Comment

Found someone soldered the bridge/claw ground to the signal side of the tone capacitor. Not sure why it was there in the first place, must have been incorrectly repaired before I bought it.

Sounds good now, no buzz/hum.

Comment

Working...
                X