Hipshot Locking Tuners - Good Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hipshot Locking Tuners - Good Stuff

I been looking for some locking tuners for my two Strat head V-trem Charvels just to make string changes faster and to get rid of their strings trees.

Since both guitars have Schaller tuners I've been looking for good deals on Schaller locking tuners in gold but the best price I found was $90 on eBay. I wanted Schaller tuners because I didn't want to fill or any screw holes.

Anyway, I happened upon Hipshot locking tuners on eBay that were exact replacements for Schallers and were priced right for me ($62 a set). I installed a set yesterday on my Charvel 25th and I'm finding them to be amazing little tuners. The 18:1 ratio makes them super smooth too.
    Last edited by Matt_B; 07-11-2014, 10:46 AM.

I had heard good things about these from a local tech, as well. Think they're what Suhr is currently using on their guitars, too.

Comment

I'm sure sold on them. If I need locking tuners again I'm definitely going to seek them out. They cost about 2/3 of what the Schallers cost, they're just as good and they seem lighter too.

Comment

Definitely good stuff. I like the tuning key design, too.
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use them on my SG and think they stay in tune better than Sperzel's

Comment

Originally posted by The Rossness View Post
            I use them on my SG and think they stay in tune better than Sperzel's
            Sperzels are cool, but they've only got a 12:1 ratio. Carvin used to use Sperzel as standard, but now they use something else that's 19:1 ratio. Wondering if it also might be from Hipshot considering they also now use Hipshot 6, 7 and 8-string hardtail bridges.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think Sperzel has a weight advantage though...if you are dealing with a neck that is already on the heavy side.

Comment

Another vote - I installed a pair on my San Dimas a few days ago and I'm very pleased so far.

It's been said above, but they're lightweight, nice and simple design, high ratio, look good, easy to install, and the price is right.

I find the larger locking wheel on the Sperzels a little easier to grip with my big ape-like fingers, but the Hipshots don't seem to have the annoying "sticky pin" problem that happens to Sperzels.

Comment

I've been playing the crap out of one of the guitars I installed these on and the high E broke right at the tuner post. Not a big deal as it's quick to change but this is the first time I've broke a string years. BTW, I attribute this to locking tuners in general and not specifically Hipshot.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                    I've been playing the crap out of one of the guitars I installed these on and the high E broke right at the tuner post. Not a big deal as it's quick to change but this is the first time I've broke a string years. BTW, I attribute this to locking tuners in general and not specifically Hipshot.
                    That's weird. I've never heard of locking tuners breaking strings at the post, but maybe the locking knob is too tight and pushed the locking pin into the string?

Comment

I've had the same thing happen to me with Sperzels, tuning up a brand new set of strings. Same with some non-locking Schallers, just a month ago or so. Both high E strings. ...Might be a bad manufacturing run of strings out there, too.

Comment

I have had a customer that complained that Sperzels do that but he has a habit of locking things down too hard.
                        He tends to break spark plugs installing them too.
                        He told me he used soft jaw pliers to make sure they were tight.LOL
                        I told him just finger tight is all you need.
                        Personally I have never had a problem with Sperzels or any other locking tuners.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have Hipshot tuners on my bass and on my Ibanez 8 string... good stuff.

As for Sperzels, I've never had an issue with them. If your strings are breaking at the peg, it's because you're tightening them down way too much. They only need to be finger tight... tighten until snug. No tools required. lol
                          The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I had an issue with a Sperzel on a high E string. Many years ago, I bought a Carvin DC400 off ebay. When I went to change the strings, I couldn't get the high E string out of the tuner... the locking pin was seized and would not budge, so I guess it was tightened way too much, but it still didn't break the string. Even to this day, the pin has never moved, no matter how much I smacked it on concrete, bashed it with a hammer, whatever, I just can't use that tuner, so it's just laying around in the parts bin!
                            Carvin was nice enough to send me a new one for free, though.

Comment

This is a known, albeit rare, issue with some Sperzels, has nothing to do with how tight you lock the string. Sometimes the locking pin just seizes. I've heard various theories - burrs in the metal, the finish is to thick, etc. Every once in a while, one goes out the door the locks up and refuses to unlock. The string breakages may or may not be related.

Comment

Working...
                              X