Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange grounding issue on rewired 2Hum Jackson Dinky???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange grounding issue on rewired 2Hum Jackson Dinky???

This one really has me stumped folks!

I ordered all new Alpha pots and CRL switch for my Jackson MIJ Dinky.

Wired everything bone stock and strung up the guitar only to find a loud annoying hum unless I touch the strings or bridge etc...

Ya I know, you'll tell me that the guitar is not properly grounded but I assure you that it is. I have bee wiring my guitars for nearly two decades and have never experienced this issue. I pulled out the Fluke tester and checked for continuity on all joints and still no culprit. Input jack is wired correctly as well.

Matter of fact I pulled the cover from two other identical Charvel's and the wiring is exactly the same and they are both loads quieter when plugged in.

I am totally stumped!!!

Are all the pots and switch grounded together? I know said it is wored correctly but sometimes we miss things. Double and triple check everything. Makes sure the hot and ground arent reversed on the volume pot.

Comment

Checked all pots (only two of them actually) and they are grounded together with a wire ala Gibson style. Jacks is not reversed nor is any other wire.

Its a little noisier than say my Charvel Model 375 or even my Jackson PC1 so I'm thinking that because the cavities are NOT shielded, that's where the extra noise is coming from.

I will post a pic of the wiring later today.

Comment

I have run into a few Alpha pots that were very noisy.
        I have no idea why but I replaced the pots with CTS pots and 75% of the noise went away.
        Better check the ground wire to the trem claw while you are at it.
        I have been using cloth covered wire for a long time and that seems to keep noise down too.
        Could be a strand of wire touching something it shouldn't.

Also make sure the tab you ground against the volume pot is solid.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
        X