Looking for new Bridge PUP for SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new Bridge PUP for SL2H

Not totally happy with the JB that came in the bridge with my SL2H. It has a relatively thick/tight sound, but harmonics are difficult to hit and the bass tends to swallow the other frequencies. I want a pickup that can handle tones from Warren DeMartini (RATT) in their 80s albums but also handle modern metal tones (D-standard or Drop C tuning) - something like Alexi from Children of Bodom.

Not sure if I should take the plunge into the EMGs (have heard they sound shrill and generic - had them on an old KE3, but forgotten what they sound like). DiMarzio/SD's seem like a good choice, but I would be confused in narrowing it down to one specific pickup.

Don't get me wrong, the JB is OK, just not great. Need something with slightly more output and clarity while still retaining the thickness/fatness of the JB.

Thanks!
    Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
    Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
    Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Duncan Distortion brings out harmonics like few other pickups I've played. Also, has lots of clarity, a tight low end and works good with drop tunings. I think that would work nicely.

Also, an EMG 81 might be a nice choice.

Comment

DiMarzio Norton, Tone Zone or Super Distortion.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Great choices so far...

I've got a soloist with the EVH pups and I really like it. Handles drop D tuning easily, I never tried drop C though. Will definitely give you more harmonics than a JB and there is nothing sterile about it.

Comment

I can't believe the JB doesn't bring out harmonics, maybe there's an issue with your setup? Apart from that, though, the Duncan Distortion is a great pickup.
          http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Have you tried a mid boost pedal into your amp? Koko boost, MXR 10 band, Empress Paraeq... Clean boost with an increase in the mids can help with clarity and sustain. I didn't really like my JB until I tried this. It's much better now.

Comment

I hate the JB but that should give you the Ratt sound since that's what Warren was using. Like someone else said the SD distortion, still has that tone but with a ceramic magnet and can do drop tuning.

Comment

The JB experience you described is exactly why I hate them. The Duncan Custom is killer, more responsive and has a better tonal balance than the Distortion, and will definitely do everything that you're looking for.

However....I've recently started using Grover's new pickups, and have been very happy with them. The Habanero Classics are a low-medium output, but frankly, I'm pretty blown away at the range it covers. They've equaled my love of the Custom (which has been essentially shouted from the rooftops of the internet), surprisingly enough, and the neck position Classic is hands down, the best neck pickup I've ever heard.

I've got a video demo that I have to edit, but for now, here's an audio clip. This was recorded with my '71 prototype model and Habanero Classics. All of the guitars are me. Amps were a Splawn, and maybe an Ecstacy, too. Pete was handling the recording, I just played.

https://soundcloud.com/jon-sullivan-...e-ace-replaced

Sully
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
                  Have you tried a mid boost pedal into your amp? Koko boost, MXR 10 band, Empress Paraeq... Clean boost with an increase in the mids can help with clarity and sustain. I didn't really like my JB until I tried this. It's much better now.
                  I'm actually running a MXR 10 in a frown shape right now and still have the issue. Don't think it's the amp either, I'm using a JCM800 50w with a 2x12 cab (bass - 4, mid - 7, treble - 6) plus the MXR 10, tubescreamer and compressor.

From the replies, I'm leaning towards the Duncan Distortion.
                  I've heard people say the DiMarzio Super Distortion is high output, but very bright and shrill on these guitars. Anyone have experience with the DiMarzio Evolution or the Super 2,3?
                  Jackson SL2H (nebula) '08
                  Gibson Les Paul Standard (ebony) '03
                  Marshall JCM800 50W + Marshall 2x12

Comment

IMO, a Super D is not that bright, but I guess it could be in certain guitars. The Super 2 is pretty bright, and I usually like that one as a neck pup paired up with either an X2N or Super D. I've never tried a Super 3, but it is darker/warmer and supposed to be pretty thick sounding, and it's stock in the Phil Collen PC1.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario8672 View Post
                      I'm actually running a MXR 10 in a frown shape right now and still have the issue. Don't think it's the amp either, I'm using a JCM800 50w with a 2x12 cab (bass - 4, mid - 7, treble - 6) plus the MXR 10, tubescreamer and compressor.

From the replies, I'm leaning towards the Duncan Distortion.
                      I've heard people say the DiMarzio Super Distortion is high output, but very bright and shrill on these guitars. Anyone have experience with the DiMarzio Evolution or the Super 2,3?
                      Then I would try the SD distortion.

Comment

I always get nervous with the thought of someone dropping 80 bux on my recommendation, but here goes....

I have a DM Evo in an alder / maple / rosewood ESP Mirage Deluxe. I love it. Very tight and articulate when riffing / power chording on E - A - D. No hair or fizz anywhere. Some may say that G - B - E may be of the bright side...BUT...nowhere close to being shrill, and again articulate is the word. And no place to hide your mistakes . Lots of overtones and harmonics going on. Oh BTW, I love PAF Pro's too.

Good luck!

Mark
                        "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                          Duncan Distortion brings out harmonics like few other pickups I've played. Also, has lots of clarity, a tight low end and works good with drop tunings. I think that would work nicely.

Also, an EMG 81 might be a nice choice.
                          Just wanted to add that you need to factor in the natural tone of the guitar before going with a Duncan Distortion. If the guitar is naturally bright, a DD can border on shrill. If the guitar is balanced or darker, it would probably be fine with a DD. On a bright guitar, you could try a 250K volume pot to darken it a bit, but I can't personally vouch for doing that with a DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                            Just wanted to add that you need to factor in the natural tone of the guitar before going with a Duncan Distortion. If the guitar is naturally bright, a DD can border on shrill. If the guitar is balanced or darker, it would probably be fine with a DD. On a bright guitar, you could try a 250K volume pot to darken it a bit, but I can't personally vouch for doing that with a DD.
                            Interesting.

Chad, a typical SL-2H: is that a bright, balanced or dark guitar in your opinion?

Comment

Another option is a Bill Lawrence
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X