Upgrades for MIM Charvel San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrades for MIM Charvel San Dimas

1st post. Greetings to all forum members. Really happy "I'm in" after a couple tries and lots of waiting...

So I have a Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas Style 1 HS HT guitar (Made in Mexico) that I love.

What would you do to upgrade it? No pickups for now. I really like them.

...More interested in small bits and pieces like tuners, bridge, saddles, nut or anything that would make it "more US American" and improves its stability, playability, comfort, intonation and sound quality.

Lets say money was not a problem. I'll try to improve it, a couple tens at a time. It can be done slowly. It will be my pastime. My project guitar.

I can't resist personalizing my stuff and making them one of a kind. More unique. Upgrading.

I can't pay for a totally custom job but I love tweaking stuff out! Help me out. Where should I start?

I already ordered some locks. Schaller Security Locks. I'm keeping the hardware black.

Post brand names, models and other specs if you can. Thanks for any input.

Welcome aboard.In what way or ways is it not performing to your satisfaction now?
    Last edited by Matt_B; 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I suggest you start with fixing what's wrong with it.

Comment

Hey thanks for your replies. I love the guitar. There is nothing wrong with it. Neck feels great. Really comfortable for my big hands. Feels great. Also first guitar with jumbo frets I have. You can really notice it. I got used to it really fast and, from now on, I will always go jumbo. It goes fast! I wish the action was a little lower, but I'm sure my 1st professional setup will take care of most things I don't feel so great about it. I'm ready to spend some time with the tech discussing details and preferences. I think I know what to ask for.

Still, I think I can improve something about it. I'm a tweaker, what can I do? It occupies my mind. I want to add value to it. Not like I have too much money to spend. If that was the case I would probably get another guitar and not a $800 one.

Saddles? Bridge? Nut? Pots? I'm keeping this instrument forever. Its a keeper, so I want to take it as far as I can quality-wise and make it more one of a kind unique. Like I said, I'm a tweaker... Can't really help it.

Comment

Originally posted by matarroano View Post
          Hey thanks for your replies. I love the guitar. There is nothing wrong with it. Neck feels great. Really comfortable for my big hands. Feels great. Also first guitar with jumbo frets I have. You can really notice it. I got used to it really fast and, from now on, I will always go jumbo. It goes fast! I wish the action was a little lower, but I'm sure my 1st professional setup will take care of most things I don't feel so great about it. I'm ready to spend some time with the tech discussing details and preferences. I think I know what to ask for.

Still, I think I can improve something about it. I'm a tweaker, what can I do? It occupies my mind. I want to add value to it. Not like I have too much money to spend. If that was the case I would probably get another guitar and not a $800 one.

Saddles? Bridge? Nut? Pots? I'm keeping this instrument forever. Its a keeper, so I want to take it as far as I can quality-wise and make it more one of a kind unique. Like I said, I'm a tweaker... Can't really help it.
          Yes, get a good pro set up done first. That's the most effective thing you can do to make it play its best and sound its best.

Beyond that if you want to tweak for tweaking's sake have it but to be blunt nothing you can do it to it is going to add value to it. It's an MIM Charvel and no amount of "US American" parts is going to change that. It is what is and you like it so spend all that tweaking time playing instead.

Are different saddles going to "improve" it? Well, that would be subjective as far as tone goes and even then it won't make it worth any more money.

Is a different nut going to "improve" it? Again, that's subjective and a different nut won't add value.

Is a different pot or switch going to "improve" it? A higher quality pot might make it sound better or it might make it sound worse. Either way, it's not going to increase the value.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from making changes - I'm just being honest with you. I don't recommend changing anything about the guitar unless it's broken or you don't like the sound or function of it. If you want to try different things sound to see if they improve the sound for you go for it but if you sink $200 in new parts into it the value of the guitar will not increase 1 penny. That's just the way it is.

If you really want to personalize get it refinished in a rare color or graphic but that won't be cheap.

The real value in a custom shop guitar comes not just from the parts but the attention to deal in the crafting of the instrument and no amount of modifications or tweaks can replace that.

Good luck.
          Last edited by Matt_B; 05-19-2014, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            Yes, get a good pro set up done first. That's the most effective thing you can do to make it play its best and sound its best.

Beyond that if you want to tweak for tweaking's sake have it but to be blunt nothing you can do it to it is going to add value to it. It's an MIM Charvel and no amount of "US American" parts is going to change that. It is what is and you like it so spend all that tweaking time playing instead.

Are different saddles going to "improve" it? Well, that would be subjective as far as tone goes and even then it won't make it worth any more money.

Is a different nut going to "improve" it? Again, that's subjective and a different nut won't add value.

Is a different pot or switch going to "improve" it? A higher quality pot might make it sound better or it might make it sound worse. Either way, it's not going to increase the value.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from making changes - I'm just being honest with you. I don't recommend changing anything about the guitar unless it's broken or you don't like the sound or function of it. If you want to try different things sound to see if they improve the sound for you go for it but if you sink $200 in new parts into it the value of the guitar will not increase 1 penny. That's just the way it is.

If you really want to personalize get it refinished in a rare color or graphic but that won't be cheap.

The real value in a custom shop guitar comes not just from the parts but the attention to deal in the crafting of the instrument and no amount of modifications or tweaks can replace that.

Good luck.
            Hey Matt! Thanks for the reply. It really left me thinking. Especially this:

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
            I meant "value" as its "value for me", not resale or having a $800 guitar turned into a ton of cash for no reason. Just vanity/bragging (?!) or having a lot of free time to tweak and a lot of money to spend doesn't justify my wish to upgrade it. I guess I will think about it once I have it setup properly. Fixing just if broken or if there is something I'm not pleased with might be the way to go...

Does anyone out there have a different opinion or feels the way I feel about the need to tweak?

Comment

I disagree with Matt just a bit. Sure, taking a MIM Charvel and adding better parts won't make it on par with a $3000 custom shop guitar...but it's fun. Plus, most of the original "Super Strats" were made from B parts (Eddie's Frankie, George's Tiger, etc). So, do what makes you happy. I have a ton of imports that I do exactly the same thing with. Are they on par with guitars that cost 10x as much? No, but I still love them and I can definitely tell the difference.

Do what makes you happy. Just play the hell out of them while you're at it!

Comment

Worn parts get replaced, parts not to my liking, as well

I am of simple thought: If I don't know what I 'need' to tweak, I'm not tweaking anything

Experimenting needs a cause in my book
                My Ibanez wouldn't have gotten a Schaller Floyd if the original one didn't wear out (rather quick I might say)
                Pickups aren't swapped if the tone is to my liking, wiring changes only appear when I'm either swapping or repairing electronics

any modification that is done fast and easy (like rotating a p'up 180 degrees, swapping EMG's from position), fine, I'll give it a go
                but more invasive things need some serious thinking first
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Bridge is a fair upgrade I believe. Different trem block, stainless frets. If you like the electronics no point in swapping them.
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by SausageofPower View Post
                    I disagree with Matt just a bit. Sure, taking a MIM Charvel and adding better parts won't make it on par with a $3000 custom shop guitar...but it's fun. Plus, most of the original "Super Strats" were made from B parts (Eddie's Frankie, George's Tiger, etc). So, do what makes you happy. I have a ton of imports that I do exactly the same thing with. Are they on par with guitars that cost 10x as much? No, but I still love them and I can definitely tell the difference.

Do what makes you happy. Just play the hell out of them while you're at it!
                    Where would you start? Please list some options you would consider.

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                    Bridge is a fair upgrade I believe. Different trem block, stainless frets. If you like the electronics no point in swapping them.
                    Yeah I like the pickups. Bridge and saddles what would you recommend?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Another thing. Would I be able to get the same neck with a maple fretboard?

Comment

Originally posted by matarroano View Post
                      Another thing. Would I be able to get the same neck with a maple fretboard?
                      Any Guitar Center tech worth his salt can easily replace the fingerboard on the neck you have. I wouldn't go with maple though, I'd toss the shitty Mexican rosewood that is on there and replace it with bonafide Brazilian rosewood. Or, for a bit of a harder tone, go with ebony. Ask about any upcharge for sorting for the darkest ebony you can possibly get and PAY IT. Screw that light ebony shit. Have it oiled with the tears of a destitute Madagascan lumberjack if possible.

While the board is off, ask about a three-way truss rod upgrade.

Since a refret will be required, you might as well go for the titanium fret wire upgrade. It will lighten then guitar and the frets will last until the point the Sun goes red giant and envelops the Earth. I might be exaggerating a bit but they'll last a long time lol! Naturally you'd want to go with the titanium Floyd upgrade for the best tone matching with the frets.

As a side note, that guy from Taylor guitars can go suck one lol!

Comment

Get it set up and the frets done ( I bet money they need work right off the line) and then play it for a while. Personally, unless the hardware on the guitar is affecting the playability I'm not sure why you would bother to spend money on it. Pick-ups (which seems to be the only thing you don’t want to change) would be your best bang for the buck…. In my opinion.
                        -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

My 2 cents...Get a big brass trem block to improve sustain, while the bridge is off, change it out to an original FR and add noiseless springs. The pups are not garbage DDs or korean versions, if the stock pups sound good to you, leave them in there. The 3-way on these sometimes cause a volume drop or pup cut off so I would add a high quality switchcraft 3-way toggle. Change out the locking nut if you have to but unless there is slipping, the stock one should be just fine. The frets can be hit or miss on these too. A nice fret dress, add in your string guage of choice, adjust the bridge/intonation and bam, you have made a great guitar into a monster rock and roll killing machine! Good luck!
                          "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                          ENGL Powerball II
                          Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                          Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                          Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                          1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                          1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                          2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                          2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                          1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                          2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                          1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                          1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                          2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                          2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                          2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                          2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                          2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                          2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                          2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                          1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

isn't this guitar a hardtail? Makes adding a brass block difficult.
                            Hail yesterday

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for your input. Here's what I think I'm going to do for now:
                              • 1st - proper setup from a professional, including fret dressing.
                              • 2nd - locks, strap. That's it for now.
                              • 3rd - play the hell out of it!
                              • 4th - getting more knowledgeable about what I should upgrade first.
                              • 5th - start saving for a new guitar and for a MB Triple Rectifier head.
                              Nevertheless I would still like to know other options. How about listing some parts and specification? An maybe we could start talking pickups.I don't really feel like I want to emulate any bands style or sound , but I always loved Converge and their guitar sound on this tune. Such a great song. It has everything I care about. Ballou is an EMG guy. 85/60. I'm sticking to passives but it's a nice place to start... Discuss.Thanks, once again!
                              Last edited by matarroano; 05-27-2014, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X