FRETS Who to trust???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRETS Who to trust???

I need some fret work done on one of my Jackson's and have been trying to find a reputable Luthier, but all I hear is negative crap, about all the luthiers around here. Western Ny, Buffalo area, to be specific. I have NEVER had a fret level done. I also hate the thought of someone else touching my guitars. So do I buy the tools? Guitar center wants $85.00 for a crown and polish. I can buy all the tools for that. OR do I trust someone else that will do it for $60.00, Fret leveling is not rocket surgery, I just don't have the tools. What a pain! What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

I've done it once under the supervision of a luthier. There is definitely skill involved with doing a flawless job. I've seen some amature hour fret dresses and they are not pretty. I'd invest in the tools if:

1) You take your time and learn the craft properly
    2) You have some inexpensive guitars to practice on
    3) You aren't easily demotivated by repetitive tasks and will totally redo anything that needs redoing
    4) You play to stay with it
    5) You aren't planning to get rich doing it

If the GC can really do a good job for $85 I'd let them do it. That's on the low end as far as price goes.

Comment

Guy by me did a crown, level, and polish and a setup on my KV STD for like $120 I think. Did good work and I am happy, have no problem having some else do it, I have another guy by me who is known for his fret work but his turn around times are high from high volume so I avoid him just cause of that.
      Gear:

Jackson DK2M (07')

Jackson PS-4 (99'?)

Charvel Model 5 (86')

Randall RG50TC

Maxon OD-9

Comment

I’m kind of in the same boat, except I’m stuck in Shanghai and I don’t know anyone who can do this work. So it’s DIY time…

Should I get a crowning file, or is there a better/alternative method? If so what file should I get?
        I can probably get a good strait edge and flat file here in SH, but a crowning file might be difficult.

I’m OK with a file, having been woodworker/cabinet maker for 20 years. But since I’ve never done this before, any advice is appreciated

Dan
        Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Proper tools are a must when doing fret work.Be prepared to open up your wallet too.
          The last crowning file I bought was $75.00 4 or 5 years ago.
          Its pretty time consuming and very easy to mess up if you are not careful.
          I'm not saying don't try it but get on YT and watch a shit ton of videos and learn how its done.They will show you all the tools you will need.
          When I decided to start doing fret work I ordered the tools I needed from Stew-Mac and the bill was close to $500.00.
          Grandpa's set of files ain't going to cut it you need the proper tools for the job.
          Sully has some great videos on YT go check him out.Sully's guitar garage ......sit back and have a taco while you learn.
          Last edited by straycat; 05-09-2014, 01:00 AM.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I agree that the right tools make the job way easier. But sadly, I'd have to say FUCK STEWMAC on most of their tool prices. Some are just outright ridiculous. Really sucks that there's limited places to get the tools you need. I may be a bit unique in that where I build jet engines I have access to very precise tooling so I made alot of my own tools but that's not an option for most. But there are quite a few smaller sellers on ebay that are putting out good quality tools for much better prices then Stewmac.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

http://www.plek.com/uploads/plek_wor...pe=all&lang=en
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Proper tools are a must when doing fret work.Be prepared to open up your wallet too.
                The last crowning file I bought was $75.00 4 or 5 years ago.
                Its pretty time consuming and very easy to mess up if you are not careful.
                I'm not saying don't try it but get on YT and watch a shit ton of videos and learn how its done.They will show you all the tools you will need.
                When I decided to start doing fret work I ordered the tools I needed from Stew-Mac and the bill was close to $500.00.
                Grandpa's set of files ain't going to cut it you need the proper tools for the job.
                Sully has some great videos on YT go check him out.Sully's guitar garage ......sit back and have a taco while you learn.
                This thread is very timely as I was just looking at the frets on my CS Charvel and noticed a little bit of indenting under the G string on numerous frets. Started thinking about getting them leveled and crowned so I looked up videos on the subject (and had a Stewmac catalog sitting next to the shitter) and came across Sully's vid on it. Very entertaining and informative.

Comment

Like other's have said it takes time, tools, patients and experience to be good at fretwork and unless your planning on doing it on a regular basis I don't know if it's worth the investment. If you decide to give it a try you should start on a clunker to get a feel for it before moving on to your main axe. If you are not in a rush to have it done I don't live to far from you and may be able to help you out as a fellow JFC'er?

Comment

I second the stew-mac comment, totally ridiculous prices. I may just bite the bullet and invest in some tools, god knows I have enough shit guitars to practice on, lol. I have watched a crap ton of videos on it in the past, so I do have some knowledge, but no actual experience. Thanks, and I'm glad I'm not alone in this. It used to be that most luthiers were spot on around here, but I guess dudes are sick and tired, not necessarily in that order. Given the amount of guitars I do have and their age, it would be most cost effective, just to do it on my own. I'm definitely not in for the money, no such bird anymore in the music biz, hence the lousy work and products these days. It seems, it is less about pride in the work, and more about paying the bills. I miss the the days of old for sure! Take Care, and when I get it down, I will share my knowledge, to help you guys out. You don't need to spend $500.00 in tools, to start anyway, a few quality files and patience, will do for now. Cheers!

Comment

Same as you, I had watched videos and asked questions ad nauseam but had no practice.. The first time I did one (on my Soloist PRO), one of the awesome gents on here sent me a neck to practice with before I got to work on a good guitar. It's got a bit of warp but just for going through the process knowing it would never be played again, and seeing how the tools work, it was exactly what I needed. A 1/2 hour practice session made me feel way better about giving it a shot. I can pass it on if needed..

I use an old aluminum level and some aluminum bars that I lapped flat on a surface plate. The level with 1" wide 400 grit paper is perfect for leveling. The first few times I did it, I used stacks of paper under the neck to support it after I straightened it with the trussrod. I built a neck jig recently for about $30 because I have enough guitars to justify needing it now. The only tool I bought was a Stewmac diamond crowning file that I (luckily) got off ebay for like $50. That's the only tool I bought. You can get what's needed pretty cheap to try it yourself..
                      Last edited by warlok; 05-09-2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Here's my original thread when I started and the tools I still use today. http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/110...rk.?highlight=

Comment

I would take it to GC if u dont want to mess with it. Im a GC tech and we are all lb trained and approved to do something
                          when we get it rignh and are confident in doing it. Othwise it's not that hard once you get the end hango
                          Of it.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone, no one this side of the Pecos can do fret work, so I’ll get the proper tools, watch the vids and practice on a few clunkers.
                            Gear https://images.imgbox.com/e4/00/IxQywXkV_o.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X