Pickup Swap on JS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Swap on JS

I wanna swap my JS32 bridge PU for a seymour TB4. So I downloaded the schematics for 2 hums and 1 tone and 1 volume. But when I remove the rear access plate I can see that the electronics conections are totally different from that diagram, too many connections, a complete mess to my eyes. I have never done something like this but I wanna give it a try, I am a complete newbie. Can the Duncan diagram be apllied in this case, I don't wanna spend +50% more of the price of the pickup itself to have it installed.

if all you're doing is swapping one pickup for another, forget about the Duncan wiring diagram. You don't need to completely rewire your guitar.

For a straight swap, you just need to identify which wires belong to the pickup that's being replaced. Use the colour code chart in the link below to work out which Jackson wire corresponds with which Duncan wire. So where the green Jackson one previously went, replace it with the black Duncan one.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...ic=color_codes

Obviously, the old pickup needs to come completely out before the new one goes in, so you can't just unsolder a wire and solder in the new one as you go. So it can help to take a photo of the existing wiring, draw a little diagram, anything so that you'll remember where each wire on the bridge pickup currently goes. Then you can reference the pic/notes when you are wiring in the new pickup.
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Awesome! Thanks VitaminG that will be very helpfull. After your reply I rechecked the wires again and I finally understood what was connecting to what. Many thanks Vitamin.

Comment

Yep VG is right but please unsolder original the pick ups from their connections don't just cut them.
        Remember to solder the red and white wires together and tape them off.Best to just tape it to the rubber shield back out of the way.
        Tip 1 twist the bare wires you are going to solder so you don't end up with a fine strand of wire touching something it shouldn't.
        Run a little solder on that bare end before you connect it to the lug of the pot.
        Same goes for the ground lead as well it makes a cleaner connection.
        Don't heat the pot with the iron too much just enough to get the solder to flow and connect the wires.A 40 watt iron works well for this kind of work.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

When I first started doing my own pup swaps I always cut the old pup wires and left a little bit of the sheathing also to help remember what was where. I unsoldered it when I soldered in the new wires of course. I've since quit just adding pups and rebuild everything when I change anything. Good luck man.
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            Yep VG is right but please unsolder original the pick ups from their connections don't just cut them.
            Remember to solder the red and white wires together and tape them off.Best to just tape it to the rubber shield back out of the way.
            Tip 1 twist the bare wires you are going to solder so you don't end up with a fine strand of wire touching something it shouldn't.
            Run a little solder on that bare end before you connect it to the lug of the pot.
            Same goes for the ground lead as well it makes a cleaner connection.
            Don't heat the pot with the iron too much just enough to get the solder to flow and connect the wires.A 40 watt iron works well for this kind of work.
            Thanks for the advice straycat, I have watched several times a video from seymour duncan website about swapping pickups, that gave me some confidence on me to make the swap, where the guy explained some of thoose tips aswell..

Comment

Originally posted by tomanyjacksons View Post
              When I first started doing my own pup swaps I always cut the old pup wires and left a little bit of the sheathing also to help remember what was where. I unsoldered it when I soldered in the new wires of course. I've since quit just adding pups and rebuild everything when I change anything. Good luck man.
              I kinda wanted to remake the electronics with the objective of making it cleaner, there are plenty of wires that just wrap around the others, i couldn't even see where were the green wire was coming from. That was making me insecure about making the swap.

Comment

Why the need to unsolder the old pup rather than cutting the wire? I've done it like that loads of times and it's never been a problem. Sure it looks messy, but so what? I'm not looking in there anyway.
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre View Post
                  Why the need to unsolder the old pup rather than cutting the wire? I've done it like that loads of times and it's never been a problem. Sure it looks messy, but so what? I'm not looking in there anyway.
                  I actually like to shove spare wire into the cavity. It looks more 'metal' that way and stops people from stealing my awesome wiring stylez.
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                  X