Best Lynch Single Coil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Lynch Single Coil?

So, I've got a Haji/Skulls and Snakes LTD that's all maple. Great guitar. I've got a pair of Dokkenbuckers being made by SD for both my Lynch axes (I also have a LTD M1 Tiger, the Sam Ash Kamikaze-style one), and while on the Tiger it's extremely easy since it's single hum, I was curious...what do Lynch-heads use for a single coil? I know he swapped them out continuously and the one time I've heard him mention single coils he just said he used all kinds (he had a Stagger Strat Left in the guitar he was playing at that time, it was his old "Guitar Bible" video).

I was leaning towards a Hot Rails, but some say it doesn't clean up too well. Any input? The Haji uses a push/pull so it's neck or bridge. The two don't need to "match" really.

Thanks!

Use a J-100 V and put a different cover on it.The Jackson singles sound great.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Depends on whether or not you want single coil hum or not. If you don't want hum.. go with a Dimarzio HS3 or a YJM. Its great in the neck. If you don't mind hum go with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder. Its a real screamer. The Hot Rail cleans up nice. You could also put a red Fender Lace Sensor in there.

Comment

I ALWAYS use fender single coils (except in 1 guitar,where I have SD antiquities). after all, they invented them!! my preference is the 57/62, but the texas special is nice if you want a little bit more output. I have used dimarzio and Duncan singles and they are never quite right - except for the SD Antiquity surf - compared to the sound of a fender. my reference for a single coil is my grandfather's 1962 strat. while NO single coil sounds EXACTLY the same as that guitar, the fenders are close followed by the antiquity. bear in mind, I am talking TRUE single coils here - these suckers hum and buzz under stage lights and with copious amounts of gain, but I am ALWAYS able to nail an uli roth or jimi tone in the neck position using any of the above pickups. the noise is worth it.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
          I ALWAYS use fender single coils (except in 1 guitar,where I have SD antiquities). after all, they invented them!! my preference is the 57/62, but the texas special is nice if you want a little bit more output. I have used dimarzio and Duncan singles and they are never quite right - except for the SD Antiquity surf - compared to the sound of a fender. my reference for a single coil is my grandfather's 1962 strat. while NO single coil sounds EXACTLY the same as that guitar, the fenders are close followed by the antiquity. bear in mind, I am talking TRUE single coils here - these suckers hum and buzz under stage lights and with copious amounts of gain, but I am ALWAYS able to nail an uli roth or jimi tone in the neck position using any of the above pickups. the noise is worth it.
          I agree with Mark, I don't mind the noise of a single coil in the neck position because the tone is worth it and usually you are soloing with it anyway. I don't like single coils in the bridge position when using a high gain amp. There is simply too much 60 cycle hum for playing live or especially recording.

Comment

Yep what JG said I like the quarter pounder a lot. I do prefer the cool rail over the hot rail it's a little less out out and a little fuller sounding. and they sound fret tapped too.

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
              I agree with Mark, I don't mind the noise of a single coil in the neck position because the tone is worth it and usually you are soloing with it anyway. I don't like single coils in the bridge position when using a high gain amp. There is simply too much 60 cycle hum for playing live or especially recording.
              This is interesting to me. No experience here with high gain solos and SC's. Can you explain why you like the SC sound in the neck position with a high gain solo sound? Is it because (I assume) it's less dark than a humbucker in the neck postion? Also, why doesn't the 60-cycle hum bother you here?

Trying to learn more about pickups..

Comment

I would go with either the duncan classic hot stock or the fury neck. Yngwie has great tone with lots of gain.

Comment

Working...
                X