Question about wiring on a Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about wiring on a Les Paul

Gibson Les Paul. Previous owner did the 50's wiring mod and removed the 500k pot and added a 1 meg no load pot for the bridge pickup. Guitar has a custom custom in the bridge. What I notice is it seems bright. Also... when I roll the volume all the way down to 0 the volume doesn't completely shut off. I would say it stays around 2. What I do notice is the tone doesn't mud out at all as the volume is rolled down. I am not digging the brightness and I would prefer the volume control to turn the pickup off completely. The previous owner told me that the 50's wiring is what does this to the volume control.
    Never heard such a thing. I am trying to get a wiring schematic for the guitar but its a Gibson Les Paul BFG Gary Moore Signature model and they don't have that model listed in their wiring schematics on their website.
    Any help?

I would figure it would be like the regular bfg...wouldn't it? Hiwbthe hell did the guy get a custom custom to sound bright? I have one in a strats and its not even close to bright
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

There is '50s wiring and '60s (modern) wiring. There really shouldn't be much brightness if the volume is not touched, just it will make things brighter and keep from getting muddy when rolled back. The 1 meg pot is definitely making things brighter than the 500k, which would be even brighter than 300k or 250k. Do a Google search on '50s wiring and you'll find a bunch of threads on http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/index.php?s= and http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/ as well as on other forums.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

50's wiring is the way to get the most usable tone out of a LP.
        Put a 500k in there and that should fix the brightness issue.
        Myself I would buy a pre wired 50's kit from RSguitarworks and drop it in.They make the best kits IMO but Jonesy or Martin Six String are good too.
        I've used all 3 but find the RS kits to be a bit better.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

What do you think is causing the volume not to turn off on the bridge pickup?

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
            I would figure it would be like the regular bfg...wouldn't it? Hiwbthe hell did the guy get a custom custom to sound bright? I have one in a strats and its not even close to bright
            I guess it might be. Stock it has a p90 in the neck, a burstbucker 3 in the bridge, 2 volumes, 1 master tone, a kill switch and a 3 way toggle.

Comment

Agree with Stray, the RSguitarworks kits are top notch. I have used botht eh vintage and modern wiring. I prefer the modern tone but the vintage kit sounded great in my Epi LP Custom.
              "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
              ENGL Powerball II
              Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
              Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
              Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
              1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
              1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
              2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
              2011 Jackson DK2M Black
              1987 Charvel Model 2 White
              2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
              1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
              1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
              2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
              2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
              2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
              2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
              2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
              2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
              2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
              1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
                What do you think is causing the volume not to turn off on the bridge pickup?
                Likely that it is a bad wiring job and something is amiss somewhere. Bad ground or something. Also, could be a bad pot. I'd go through and touchup every solder joint. Also, I'd get rid of that 1meg pot while I was at it.

Comment

Post a pic of the wiring as is.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

When I get home I will snap a pic. I am VERY good with wiring and when I took a look at it last night (its easy because the control covers on the back are clear), it looked like high quality components but a shoddy overall wiring job.

Comment

I am very picky when I wire guitars. Apparently others aren't. Anytime I have bought a guitar with modified electronics I usually redo or neaten up the wiring....whatever is required. A lot of people on this planet shouldn't be allowed within 100 feet of a soldering iron.

Comment

Sounds like the pickupover nd switch nbc wires are in the wrong places on the volume pots. The pickups should go to the Web left lugs of the vol nd the switch to center.

Comment

Working...
                        X