Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising action on an OFR

Hey all,

Just sent my SL2H to a tech (usual tech is a buddy of mine who is out of town and sets up my guitars flawlessly) for a setup/tuning change. Had it in D std for a time and switched to Drop C -- Everything looks great except the action on the low strings (mainly low C and G) is too low - there's buzz on the C to the point where the tone sounds muffled.

I don't exactly want to take it back, as I'll be leaving town myself in a few days. Now I'm a bit of a tech tard (I setup my own TOM guitars & strats but the floyds are just too involved) - is raising the action an involved process? I gather I simply have to loosen the two hex screws on the front - Do I have to raise it evenly? (The problem is unilateral). Also is the whole "slack the strings or say goodbye to your knife edges" thing fact or simply guitar pseudoscience? Should I expect a drastic intonation change? Can anyone walk me through this?

Any help is much appreciated

G
    Last edited by Grim; 04-17-2014, 12:28 AM. Reason: smiley fail
    I like EL34s.

Update : Gave it a measure; a canadian quarter (~1.58mm) fits snugly (Will not fall out when guitar is 90 degrees to ground) at the 12th when the guitar is fretted at the first and 24th (or 22nd)
    I like EL34s.

Comment

It is suggested by some to loosen strings but action isn't something you change very often & the amount of post turning you'll do shouldn't cause any issues to the knife edges.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
        It is suggested by some to loosen strings but action isn't something you change very often & the amount of post turning you'll do shouldn't cause any issues to the knife edges.
        +1 I've never loosened strings when raising or lowering a Floyd. You just raise (clockwise) the post a little bit. You don't have to do the other side if you don't want to. Some people like to have things level, but you can get away with having the bass side a tiny bit higher than the treble side. Hell, you can even put shims under Floyd saddles to get more individual string height, if you want to.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

It won't hurt anything to raise the bridge under tension.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Cool. I'll probably give it a go tonight. Thanks all
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              +1 I've never loosened strings when raising or lowering a Floyd. You just raise (clockwise) the post a little bit. You don't have to do the other side if you don't want to. Some people like to have things level, but you can get away with having the bass side a tiny bit higher than the treble side. Hell, you can even put shims under Floyd saddles to get more individual string height, if you want to.
              It would be counter clockwise to raise the bridge. It would probably take a 1/2-1 turn to stop the buzz. You can turn it a little and see what it does and go more if necessary
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Yeah, you're right, counterclockwise. I guess I had a brain fart and wrote too quick. Lol
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I was like wait...ummm....what?
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

I have always loosed the string tension before raising or lowering. No need to remove the strings, just loosened of the tension. Friction will be reduced, may be unnecessary but its easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Radiohead View Post
                      I have always loosed the string tension before raising or lowering. No need to remove the strings, just loosened of the tension. Friction will be reduced, may be unnecessary but its easy to do.
                      Makes no sense to do so because its already under tension.No you will not hurt the posts or the knife edges.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Loosen the strings? Too much work. Just use the vibrato arm to tilt the Floyd down while you're turning the posts if you're really worried about dulling the knife edges.

Comment

honestly I have never loosened the strings, a couple of years back i wa doing a setup for someone on a BCR with a cheap FR type. cracked the post almost immediately as i started to turn it....now the only time i loosen the string s bit is if its a setup on someone elses guitar.

Comment

Given that the knife edges are in their pivot points, there's no reason to believe that they'll go dull, unless you adjust them all day long for like 5 years straight. Bending the trem with the bar will be a bad idea; leave it straight under full tension.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I find that tone improves if you lower your body rather than raise your trem
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X