Pickup identification and mounting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup identification and mounting issue

OK check out this pickup on a strat I recently picked up. I'm not really sure what it is. It doesn't seem to match the Dimarzios and Duncan rail pups that I'm familiar with. There's a label that looks like it reads "1NC" or maybe "LNC", but I can't seem to find anything that matches it. Any ideas? So it doesn't take to non-pickguard direct mounting very well. As you can see, a normal size mounting screw sort of crushes those pickup wires on the one side. That can't be good. I've never encountered this, any thoughts?

Looks like an old hotrails without the tang on it. Thats how they route them. LNC is probably the person who wound it. How's it measure out?
    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
      Looks like an old hotrails without the tang on it. Thats how they route them. LNC is probably the person who wound it. How's it measure out?
      Yeah I know the old Duncan labels are odd. I did find a hit on "1NC" regarding a JB Jr, which this definitely is not. It's ohming out at 9.6 Kohms at the jack.

So if it's an old hot rails, is there a cleaner way to mount it that doesn't crush the wires? Those damn wires are fragile.

Comment

Digging around the SD forums, it's looking more and more like a "cool rails".

Comment

Cool rails wound by Catalina Padilla!

Sooooo how do I direct mount the f'n thing cleanly? :think:

Comment

Push the wires back through the holes and move them out of the way long enough to mount it then push them back down so they are over the screw I guess
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
              Push the wires back through the holes and move them out of the way long enough to mount it then push them back down so they are over the screw I guess
              Yeah that's tough because they are glued down.

I think I'm just sort of stuck with that on this vintage pup. I can probably live with it, there's really not that much torque on the wires.

It looks to me like they have more clearance on the newer ones:

Comment

I'm putting an old one in my Warmoth strat right now I pushed the wire over just enough to clear.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                  I'm putting an old one in my Warmoth strat right now I pushed the wire over just enough to clear.
                  Yeah I worked at it a bit with a small screwdriver, and it was a bit too tight to budge.

Comment

Use a blow dryer to loosen the wax up a little bit
                    It's pronounced soops

Comment

Or put one of the vintage bushing for a strat pickguard under the screw so it doesn't pierce the insulation on the wires
                      It's pronounced soops

Comment

I have used a felt washer from a strap button in situations like that.
                        Not pretty but it protects the wires.
                        I have used screws with a smaller head too.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Damn, is there any way to carefully, clip out the side of those holes to reroute the wires underneath. I have an OLD cool rail in another guitar, and the wires dont do that....they all come directly from the bottom. I do like the sound of those pickups. good luck, sorry, i really didnt notice that at all. It works? theres no issues, I only pluged it in briefly & i thought everything worked? tho the pot was a lil dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                            Damn, is there any way to carefully, clip out the side of those holes to reroute the wires underneath. I have an OLD cool rail in another guitar, and the wires dont do that....they all come directly from the bottom. I do like the sound of those pickups. good luck, sorry, i really didnt notice that at all. It works? theres no issues, I only pluged it in briefly & i thought everything worked? tho the pot was a lil dirty.
                            Yeah everything works. It's not a big deal, I just hadn't encountered that before and was curious as to how the builders on the board dealt with it. I'm sort of thinking J/C pickups in this guitar anyways, I've already got two other JB guitars. I've got a J80C/J100 combo looking for a home.

Comment

My thoughts would be to try a short piece of rubber tubing (the kind stew mac sells instead of springs for holding up pickups) and see if that could lift the screw off the wire.

BTW, I have a couple of those similar looking pickups with IIRC “INC” on the back. I bought them off this board a few years ago. I think I was told they were Duncan Hot rails, but they sound good if they’re cool rails. I got em specifically because they don’t have the tang and thise are hard to come by.

BTW, nice Lightning!
                              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Working...
                              X