replacing an eq pot on a tube head??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing an eq pot on a tube head??

i got a deal on a head but the bass knob is broke off. is it really hard to replace it? i was thinking of doing it myself but wanted to get one of u amp tech guys opinions

It depends.

Is the pot free floating and wired or is in installed in a circuit board?

Comment

its to the board. i remember someone saying they clipped the pot out leaving enough remaining to solder to so that they didnt have to technically solder directly to the board. i mean, i can still turn it, its more of a cosmetic than functionality issue for me. if it was a fairly simple job id do it, but i dont want to have to take the thing apart completely just to change it. its a crate bv120 and from looking at pics online it seems easily accessible but pics and in person is different. i may just have to pull it and look

Comment

after some thought i decided im gonna recreate the broken shaft with jb weld. ill let u know how it goes

Comment

Changing the pot should be pretty straight forward just make sure the pot is the same value. Basically if you can solder you can replace it just make sure you're quick or use a colder iron. I have a badass soldering iron thats adjustable

You can also get some really fine threaded rod and use a drill to make a better shaft to attach a knob to. I had to replace 1/2 the pots on my old Peavey 5150 combo. Took then forever to get the pots and knobs to me that by the time I got everything I didn't even want to fix it anymore.
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups
            Changing the pot should be pretty straight forward just make sure the pot is the same value. Basically if you can solder you can replace it just make sure you're quick or use a colder iron. I have a badass soldering iron thats adjustable

You can also get some really fine threaded rod and use a drill to make a better shaft to attach a knob to. I had to replace 1/2 the pots on my old Peavey 5150 combo. Took then forever to get the pots and knobs to me that by the time I got everything I didn't even want to fix it anymore.
            yeah i considered drilling it but theres so little left that one error could force me to change it out. i just went with the jb kwik. its only been 10 min and is already pretty strong feeling. of course i will let it cure a full 24hrs before trying to put a knob on it, even tho it says cure time is only 4,6hrs. i had an old crapped out pot so i broke the end of the shaft off and stuck it onto the little that was left. the before pic was kinda blurry, but i think this will do it for me. im usually a set and forget type of player so i wont be messing with the eq once i get it dailed in.

Comment

It should hold.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

incase anyones wondering. it wasnt strong enough. i just odered the pot from crate. lol

Comment

I was shocked to find eq pots on amazon looking up an EQ pedal lol. They were like $4 or something from Peavey. Not sure about crate though
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

they were cheap $2.04. I got two just for the hell of it. $5 min on shipping though.

Comment

Working...
                    X