Silly Question Regarding Toggle Switch Hole Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silly Question Regarding Toggle Switch Hole Size

So, I'm speccing out a Custom Select soloist and noticed that there's an option to move the volume knob a 1/2" back. I talked to the dealer I'm going through who said it wasn't worth the money and that he had ordered a guitar with that option and it just moved all the controls back a little bit (since when you really think about it a 1/2" isn't very much).

Example: http://www.rainbowguitars.com/guitar.../2811001120/fe

However... I started thinking about this placement. I've been removing the tone control and relocating the volume to where it used to be, filling the hole with a black plastic thingy (like this). Since the position of the volume on the altered control layout is just a tad bit further up than my current pickup selector is I wondered if I could order a guitar with this 1/2" back control placement and swap the location of the toggle switch and volume.

The only question I have is, are the hole sizes in the body different between the pots and toggle switch? If they are, would it be possible to do this without it looking like it was cobbled together? I suppose I could look at my SL2H, but I don't feel like disassembling the electronics to answer the question.

They are different, yes. Toggle switch gets a 1/2" hole, while a pot gets a 3/8". If you have a reamer, you can enlarge the volume hole pretty easily and cleanly.
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Many thanks, Sully.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
        They are different, yes. Toggle switch gets a 1/2" hole, while a pot gets a 3/8". If you have a reamer, you can enlarge the volume hole pretty easily and cleanly.
        This is great until you want to go back to standard volume-switch-tone set up.the enlarged volume or tone holes make it a PIA to get them lined back up correctly. Even if the volume or tone knob is a tick off center, you'll notice it.
        Last edited by len; 04-03-2014, 02:05 PM.
        “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Originally posted by len View Post
          This is great until you want to go back to standard volume-switch-tone set up.the enlarged volume or tone holes make it a PIA to get them lined back up correctly. Even if the volume or tone knob is a tick off center, you'll notice it.
          I'm planning on playing it without messing with the layout for a while to get a feel for whether or not this swap would put the switch be sufficiently out of the way of my picking hand.

If I have one complaint that seems to be universal to all Jacksons I've owned, the control placement doesn't work for me at all. Personally, I'd like the layout that the Broderick soloist has, but since this is custom select that isn't an option.

Comment

Do you pick right next to the bridge?
            You could try a smaller knob too or one that is shorter.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Not right next to the bridge. I pick in between the bridge and neck pickups, probably closer to the bridge pickup. Just where my hand runs into the volume knob every time I play on the higher strings. I usually remove the tone knob and relocate the volume there. I have a bunch of plastic thingies to put in the old volume pot hole.

I think I'm going to order it with the 1/2" back placement, see how it goes, and if I deem it worth it swap the switch for the volume position at a later time.

Comment

Working...
              X