This is a VERY silly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a VERY silly question

I know next to nothing about the making of guitar pickups, but an idea just came to mind.

If I were to buy these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-5pcs-Sup...item51b1ab27fd

and slap them onto thebottom of some of my single coil pickups, what would happen?

Would they wreck the pickup?
    Would it change the tone?
    Would it change the pickup's resistance?

If by doing it, and it changes a cheap Chinese/Korean/Indonesian or whatever make pickup for the better (unmuddies them and so forth), I'd probably be buying a few for some of my less than stellar sounding guitar pickups.
    I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

I Imagine the magnetic pull would be so strong the pickups would have to be a mile away from the strings= weak tone?
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonaxes View Post
      I Imagine the magnetic pull would be so strong the pickups would have to be a mile away from the strings= weak tone?
      I dunno?
      Do you think that the pull would be THAT strong? It'd be kind of funny to watch a string get stuck to a pickup because you picked it too hard and the oscillating vibration made it get too close . If they're that strong and the string did get stuck to it, I could see someone having difficulty pulling the string off of it. That'd be a show stopper for sure! "hold on guys....string's stuck again"
      I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

Ahhh....not a silly question. My San Dimas Soloist came to me with phantom single coils with bar magnets glued to the bottom of the pickup. I don't have access to my pix now, but I asked a WTF question and posted pix on the Forum awhile ago. Oh BTW, they sound killer LOL!

Mark
        "Hail to the Wasted".......Zinny J. Zan

Comment

Anyone else have any input on this?

Comment

Would they wreck the pickup?
            No.

Would it change the tone?
            Probably.

Would it change the pickup's resistance?
            No.

Try it! Worst that can happen is it sucks all your sustain away. In that case, just take them off and you'll have some cool magnets to play around with.

Comment

The following question is silly.......

If I put a packet of chicken chips on the roof of
              my car while I mow the lawn, will Nelly the
              Elephant sing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'?

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                The following question is silly.......

If I put a packet of chicken chips on the roof of
                my car while I mow the lawn, will Nelly the
                Elephant sing 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'?
                That is a silly question, everyone know that Nelly would sing the Kookaburra song!

Bill - Try it out and let us know how it works for you...
                Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

Working...
                X