Bareknuckle pickups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bareknuckle pickups?

I was thinking about trying a bkp and have no idea where to start. They retail for $100 more than a Duncan or Dimarzio so I would like to get the right one. Any ideas? I like playing metal and want one that will cover a lot of ground and isn't just a metal/distortion pickup but will do that. Was thinking of going with an alnico nailbomb
    It's pronounced soops

I have an Alnico nailbomb in one of my 84 Kramer Baretta's. I really like it a lot. It's really great for metal playing and very responsive to different picking styles. It's hotter than most of the pickups I use except for my guitars that are EMG equipped. I do believe it's around 15K which is a bit hotter than I normally like a passive pick up but for some reason the high output doesn't seem to make the tone lack at all on the Nailbomb unlike the Duncan Invader. I can't stand the Invader because of the fact that the output seems to just kill the tone completely in my opinion. Another good thing about the Nailbomb is the way it cleans up when you back off the volume knob. It can go from a super thick ripping distortion to a really nice 60's style crunch that's killer sounding in my opinion with just a tiny twist of the volume knob. If you buy one I think you'll really like it. I was skeptical as well when I was first thinking about buying one but I can tell you I am very pleased with it. It seems to do very well in just about every application I have ever used it for and I've played with blues guys and Jazz guys and metal players and the one thing they all have in common is they all like the sound of the Nailbomb. What guitar are you thinking about putting it in?
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

That's what I've been reading about it. I was thinking of putting it a the parts guitar I just put together. Sticker shock is the only reason I don't have one yet. Btw I hate the invader too. I have a GFS crusader that's a invader clone and it sounds better than an invader to me. I bought one years ago an I brought it back the next day because its pure mud. Would work for doom or stoner metal but not for what I want to play
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
        That's what I've been reading about it. I was thinking of putting it a the parts guitar I just put together. Sticker shock is the only reason I don't have one yet. Btw I hate the invader too. I have a GFS crusader that's a invader clone and it sounds better than an invader to me. I bought one years ago an I brought it back the next day because its pure mud. Would work for doom or stoner metal but not for what I want to play
        I don't think the Invader really has any practical use. It's hands down the worst pick up in the Duncan line IMO. Years ago I bought a used Peavey Nitro and the tool box who owned it before me put two Invaders in it in the neck and bridge. The guitar sounded like pure shit to me. Needless to say the I traded the pick ups to a friend for a SD screamin demon and a Jazz and it was an instant improvement. On the Nailbomb yes it is pricey as hell but like I said if you grab one you won't be disappointed.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
          I don't think the Invader really has any practical use. It's hands down the worst pick up in the Duncan line IMO.
          yep its rotten.

I have a set of bkp sinners. I got them for a song, they sound ultra powerful for a single and ca easily compete with a super distortion etc.Useless info but thats all i have haha
          Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Comment

I have BKP's in all my main guitars right now. I've had a number of them now. The type of guitar you put it in will have a certain effect on how they sound. case in point when I bought my Ceramic Warpig,( which comes in at 22K) I installed it in a 91 Warrior Pro...Absolutely fucking HATED it, to the point of almost mad about it,, it just sounded off. So I pulled it out and then I put it into my broken mirror Warrior mutt....which in turn sounded AWESOME,,just check out some of the vids and clips I did with it. I also had a Ceramic Warpig 7 in my Doberman V. I liked it but even though it was really tight, the Warpig has some big bottom,, and made it sound a little too "round" like if I could just get it a little more sharper on the low end ....so I put a Painkiller in it.....cause it has the top end,,,,,,,wayyyyy to Ice picky in this guitar.( black limba+ maple top) so in went an Aftermath...sounds good, right in between both of them,, so it is still in it.

I picked up an aftermath for the new Doberman Warrior (Mahogany+ Maple) I just got , put it in and once again it was ok ,, but was missing something,, so I ( reluctantly) swapped the Ceramic Warpig from the mirror warrior for it....Diggin it so far. and the Aftermath sounds great in the Mirror warrior too.

I do know they are picky about height and you have to find the sweet spot for each pickup though.. I tend to be very systematic about it I start with it all the way down and get the screws even then start turning them up one full turn at a time listening for the qualities I'm looking for. when I get it close I write down how many turns I'm at. Then I keep going till it's too hot or whatever, then go back to where I was good and then start with the half turns till it's right there.

So,, some of what it's gonna do for you is what guitar your gonna put it in and what it is made of. not knowing what your gonna put it in,, given you requirements, I would say the, Miracle Man, Nailbomb, or Holy Diver.

MOSHON
            DAVE
            "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Excellent point Dave! The body wood of the guitar you're putting the pick up in does make a huge difference in my opinion as well. I made the mistake of putting a screamin demon into a maple body once and it was so thin and glassy sounding it damn near made my ears bleed. The BK pick ups are killer and they're very responsive but like Dave said what wood you're putting them in will make a difference.

Comment

+1 to the Warpig, I've got a set in my Warlock and they rip!

Comment

The body is swamp ash with maple neck/fretboard, the guitar I wrote about the SuperD sounding like noise single coil that turned out to be a bad pot out of the box. It has a Custom 5 in it right now and I have an Alternative 8 here I was gonna try just want to try something out of the box for a change. I almost always go with Duncan which I always find something I like. I think I have at least one of each in a guitar or in my parts box. I just don't want to spend $180 on a pickup I don't like. The guitar I posted about the neck I got from Muickraft.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/142221-Musikraft-necks
                  It's pronounced soops

Comment

Another happy BKP customer here. I've been using them for a few years now and have them in 4 or 5 of my main V's and in my 87' HM strat. I absolutely love their Miracle man, and for singles you can't beat their trilogy suites. They are more expensive but the service you get is second to none. My recommendation is do not buy them from anywhere but straight from BKP themselves. You can talk to them direct and ask them what they might recommend for your guitar based on woods and tone your after. They are extremely helpful. Very cool guys.
                    "I have so much gayness at times. My wife walks in my music room, and there I am, in my undies, listening to "Sister Christian" while lighting fireworks..doin' blow." - Bill Z

"I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it. Half the tone is in the pud." - Bill Z

Comment

Originally posted by veemagic View Post
                      Another happy BKP customer here. I've been using them for a few years now and have them in 4 or 5 of my main V's and in my 87' HM strat. I absolutely love their Miracle man, and for singles you can't beat their trilogy suites. They are more expensive but the service you get is second to none. My recommendation is do not buy them from anywhere but straight from BKP themselves. You can talk to them direct and ask them what they might recommend for your guitar based on woods and tone your after. They are extremely helpful. Very cool guys.
                      +1 to their customer service! They were very helpful when I spoke to them and they're the ones who recommended the Alnico Nailbomb to me after I told them what I was looking for. I also did what Veemagic said and bought directly from them. It's the best way to go because they really know their stuff and they're not all sales pushy. They honestly listen to what you want and make it happen for you. That's been my experience with them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 84sups View Post
                        The body is swamp ash with maple neck/fretboard, the guitar I wrote about the SuperD sounding like noise single coil that turned out to be a bad pot out of the box. It has a Custom 5 in it right now and I have an Alternative 8 here I was gonna try just want to try something out of the box for a change. I almost always go with Duncan which I always find something I like. I think I have at least one of each in a guitar or in my parts box. I just don't want to spend $180 on a pickup I don't like. The guitar I posted about the neck I got from Muickraft.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/142221-Musikraft-necks
                        The Baretta I have the Nailbomb in is a swamp ash body if IIRC. and it sounds great. Go for it. Even if you don't like it Bare Knuckles are easy to move because people always want them so you can get mostly all of your investment back if you hate it but I doubt you will. It's killer.
                        Last edited by leftykingv2; 03-24-2014, 08:24 PM.

Comment

+1 on the Nailbomb. Put one in a 1987 Model 2 and it kills in that guitar! Thick distortion, very balanced and like stated before, roll back the volume and it cleans up very nicely. Quite versatile for such a hot pup. You cannot go wrong with a BKP.
                          "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
                          ENGL Powerball II
                          Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
                          Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
                          Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
                          1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
                          1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
                          2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
                          2011 Jackson DK2M Black
                          1987 Charvel Model 2 White
                          2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
                          1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
                          1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
                          2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
                          2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
                          2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
                          2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
                          2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
                          2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
                          2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
                          1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Been using them a while now...love 'em all. Have mules and rebel yells in my LP's and sinners in my strats

Comment

Originally posted by daisp View Post
                              Been using them a while now...love 'em all. Have mules and rebel yells in my LP's and sinners in my strats
                              My buddy has a Rebel Yell in the bridge of his 87 Soloist. Killer pick up in it's own right!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X