Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to direct mount a humbucker, With easy height adjustment.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to direct mount a humbucker, With easy height adjustment.

Ok i discovered this neat trick and i am sharing it around for others. You can use this method by mounting to a fu tone style mounting plate, a humbucker baseplate, threaded inserts into the body or just wood screws.

A few of you might have seen this fu tone mounting plate. As you can see in this video it bolts in and you adjust the height by removing the pickup and adjusting the baseplate. :frowny

Now for my idea.

start with 1 pickup rout like so or threaded inserts etc.

Mount a humbucker base plate. You can buy them from stewmac or if you're like me you will have a few in the spare parts box.

Grind/file away some of the top of the height screws so they can move up and down.

Install with sprigs as normal

The rig,
    Last edited by charvelsteen; 03-21-2014, 04:13 PM.
    Birds like you fly straight to heaven

Very cool trick man thanks for sharing this!

Comment

Wouldn't the pickup rout have to be quite deep for that assembly to work/fit?

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
        Wouldn't the pickup rout have to be quite deep for that assembly to work/fit?
        No, it doesn't have to be any deeper then a regular route. Plus like i mentioned it works on threaded inserts or even wood screw type arrangements.

If you had a really deep rout you could always shim the plate. Its all round tip top imo

Doing this is a huge hassle

But modding the wood screws in a setup like that would work the same.
        Last edited by charvelsteen; 03-21-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Why bother doing this? Is it just for looks, dont like pickup rings? I thought the whole perceived benefit of direct mount was that the pickup was hard mounted to the body, resonance, all that stuff. As far as the factory doing it, cost cutting? Not trying to be a putz, just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff View Post
            Why bother doing this? Is it just for looks, dont like pickup rings? I thought the whole perceived benefit of direct mount was that the pickup was hard mounted to the body, resonance, all that stuff. As far as the factory doing it, cost cutting? Not trying to be a putz, just wondering.
            I guess for me its more about looks because i dont believe it would change the tone enough for me to notice. You can do the same thing with the thread when mounting to the body.

Comment

Great idea. what do you use to keep the P'up centered and from rocking back and forth in the cavity?

MOSHON
              DAVE
              "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

Yeah it doesn't look that stable, I think I'm sticking with the foam...

Comment

Originally posted by MOSHWITZ View Post

Great idea. what do you use to keep the P'up centered and from rocking back and forth in the cavity?

MOSHON
                  DAVE
                  No its actually really stable, I mean if you go excessively high it might be but you could always put a bit of foam between the baseplate and bucker. Alternatively a longer spring.

It works Great. I have over 20 guitars so i know whats needed.

In fact if the humbucker gets too high and you find it unstable all you do is shim the baseplate up so it has more room.
                  Last edited by charvelsteen; 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                    Yeah it doesn't look that stable, I think I'm sticking with the foam...
                    You can do the same thing with foam mounting. All you need to do is mod the threads and use springs in conjunction and you can adjust the height like normal. No baseplates needed.

It makes no difference to the setup you have. And the only thing changed is the ability to adjust the height on the fly.

Here are the two setups in a digram. Just so you all know exactly what i am talking about.
                    Last edited by charvelsteen; 03-23-2014, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X