Tight Fitting Soloist In Newer SKB Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tight Fitting Soloist In Newer SKB Case

When I put my Soloist in the newer styled SKB case that my 2011 DKMGT came in I have to push the lid forcefully on the guitar before it will close. The older style SKB (2008-09 era) has no problem closing on the Soloist and the DKMGT fits perfectly in its newer case. What's up with that?
    96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

I too have issues with certain units fitting in certain cases.
    But, in this instance, since we are talking about bolt on vs neck thru:

Check where the neck meets the body to make sure it is sitting the whole way down instead of being held in the air.

Comment

another possibility would be the hardware sitting at different places.
      The original guitar probably took time getting permanent grooves into the cushions, over time it closes smoothly. Now, you're putting a new guitar into it, so the cushion needs to be squeezed again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
        When I put my Soloist in the newer styled SKB case that my 2011 DKMGT came in I have to push the lid forcefully on the guitar before it will close. The older style SKB (2008-09 era) has no problem closing on the Soloist and the DKMGT fits perfectly in its newer case. What's up with that?
        My SL1's case also takes a lot of pressure on the lid to close it, but it's the
        orig case. Go figure...

Comment

I figured it out. It seems it's only two small padded contours on the inside of the upper lid contacting the guitars' upper and lower horns, not the knobs as I had feared. My Soloists' old case doesn't have those contours. I expect after some use the padding will relax and it won't be so tight.
          96xxxxx, 97xxxxx and 98xxxxx serials oftentimes don't indicate '96, '97 and '98.

Comment

I'm guessing you have the newer case with the molded, contoured shape, as opposed to the older, smoother design? Confusing description, I know.
            Originally posted by lefty View Post
            My SL1's case also takes a lot of pressure on the lid to close it, but it's the
            orig case. Go figure...
            Last edited by Mudlark; 03-14-2014, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't put a Soloist in a Dinky case but that's just me.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

The thing is, the SKB Jackson cases are labelled Soloist/Dinky cases.
                Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                I wouldn't put a Soloist in a Dinky case but that's just me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudlark View Post
                  The thing is, the SKB Jackson cases are labelled Soloist/Dinky cases.
                  I never new that but you would figure that they have slightly different measurements spec wise. I do believe the Dinky has a slightly smaller body doesn't it?
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I've heard about the Dinky being smaller as well, but my 2009ish SL2HT and my 2011 DKMGT are so close to identical in body size that I have to declare they are identical. Maybe they were referring to guitars from a different era?

Comment

In fact, the Official Jackson website says circa 1986 the Dinky was developed and featured a smaller body than the Soloist.

Comment

I don't know. I just thought the Dinky had a slightly smaller size. At least that's what I've heard. It Could all be B.S.

Comment

They are both called a 7/8 Strat size

Comment

Get a ball peen hammer and use the rounded side to knock down/compress the foam where it's hitting the guitar. Works great. Don't wait for it to compress on it's own.
                            My Toys:
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Cherry Burst Flame Top
                            '94 Dinky Rev. Purple Burst Quilt Top
                            '94 Dinky HX in Black
                            '12 ESP Mii NTB in Black

Comment

Originally posted by AdRock View Post
                              Get a ball peen hammer and use the rounded side to knock down/compress the foam where it's hitting the guitar. Works great. Don't wait for it to compress on it's own.

Comment

Working...
                              X