Super Distortion too bright?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Distortion too bright?

I just wired up my Musikraft/Warmoth guitar and the Super D sounds kinda bright to me. Is the Super D a bright pickup or is something wrong? It doesn't hum and has full output but it makes a JB sound dark to my ears. I wired the guitar with no tone for right as I don't have any tone caps
    It's pronounced soops

I found the SD to be balanced nicely in one guitar, and maybe a bit bright in another. I wouldn't do too much handwringing over splurging on a cap if it comes to that.

Comment

Lol I have some caps just no idea where the hell they are. Its in a swamp ash body that sounds amazing acoustically. I have a Duncan custom that I think I'm going to throw in it and call it done
      It's pronounced soops

Comment

The Super Distortion is more scooped than a JB... JB's midranges are much more boosted... very nasaly.

You probably need to adjust your EQ for the pickups. What works for the JB may make the SD sound crappy.
        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

I've adjusted the eq and I've pretty much had to drop the highs substantially. Doesn't seem right. Almost wondering if the pot is bad or having bleed over from the vintage noiseless pickups in the neck or middle. Everything is new but the singles in it
          It's pronounced soops

Comment

If you're using a 500k pot, try a 250k. It makes a little difference on the high side of the eq for me.
            I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

I just can't get over how shrill it sounds honestly, haven't had the chance to change it to a 250k to see if it calms it down at all.
              It's pronounced soops

Comment

An SD shrill?
                I would go over the wiring again to see if there isn't something wonky going on around there
                (defective switch/Out of phase)
                "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I never thought the Super D was shrill, even with 500k pots. I know some people who have used a Super 2 in the bridge, and that's brighter than the SD, but still not shrill.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There has to be something wrong with it or the wiring or something.... In your first post, you said it makes your JB sound dark. The JB is one of the brightest pickups out there. Maybe it's not shrill, but it's certainly bright and sparkly... way too much mid and upper mids. The Super Distortion should sound quite a bit darker and grittier. It doesn't have that hair metal upper mid sparkle... lol Whenever I pick up a guitar with a JB, I want to play old school happy thrash or metal... which it's fairly good at, but kinda really sucks if you want to do heavy rhythm. And JB solo cuts through heavy jugga jugga junt junt, but doesn't do heavy stuff well. The SD is not modern high gain sound, but it will do brutal... so if that's not what you're looking for you might want something else.

Also, you may need to tone down some settings switching from a JB to a SD... like I said before, they eq way differently plugged direct.
                    Last edited by xenophobe; 03-16-2014, 07:18 AM.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

After trying the Duncan Distortion, I don't like my JB equipped guitars anymore. The JB now sounds so dull and the Distortion has so much more clarity. It's like a blanket has been removed from the tone.

I'm not sure about the super distortion, but I know they similar pickups. I believe what you are saying.

Comment

It's not single coil shrill and it doesn't hum. I've checked over the wiring extensively it just sounds really bright to me. I bought it brand spankin' new too so I know it isn't a used pickup that someone f'ed up. Is swamp ash a bright sounding wood? It's a Schaller Floyd, swamp ash body with a birdseye maple neck/fingerboard. I used a 500k volume pot with a Fender 5 way switch and 2 vintage noiseless pickups. Not going for brutal doom metal more of a Maiden sound but I did think it would be a little darker than it is. I have a Custom Custom I'm thinking about putting in it.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

Swamp ash isn't that bright, but it's a tiny bit scooped sounding in the mids. I've got a Super D/Super 2 combo in my swamp ash/maple neck-thru (and maple board) Carvin SC90 and don't find it overly bright. It's also got 500k pots. Try the Custom Custom then, or maybe even a Super 3.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This video was a big help in choosing a better pickup for me. He is using down-tuned guitars, however, if you listen over time you can hear the different frequencies being boosted or cut via the pickups.

Comment

Cool video. Helps me out a bit and gives me something to mull over, thanks.
                              Any way you could possibly put more shit into your sig?

Comment

Working...
                              X