Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 5-way for dummies

Anyone have a schematic for a Charvel Fusion Plus
    (Pos 1=Bridge, 2=inner coils , 3=Both HB's, 4=Outer coils, 5=Neck)

I'm under the assumption that SD wiring colors are the same as jackson?

Thanks
    "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pic...umbuckers.html

No, green is hot and black is ground for Jackson pickups.
    I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I put the Stew Mac Mega? 5 way into a lot of my axes. Works great. I have one in a 550XL that mixes up the J200R and J90C nicely.

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
        No, green is hot and black is ground for Jackson pickups.
        Well, that explains why it sounded like ass

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I just referred to the colour code chart when replacing the pickups in my Jackson Fusion Plus. Didn't have a wiring diagram, but drew a picture of each side of the switch & noted the colour of each wire of the Jackson pickups & the lug it was attached to. So that when I unsoldered a Jackson wire, I was replacing it with the appropriate Dimarzio wire (eg. Jackson green with Dimarzio red)
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Unfortunately too late for that, since the old switched got tossed a while ago, just haven't come around to fixing it yet (again)

Well, all those lugs confuse me
            Is there an up/down? left/right, does it matter how the switch is placed, etc

Basic schematics aren't a problem,, but once current doesn't run a logical route, I get pretty lost

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

have you seen this?

http://audiozone.dk/guitargallery/?c...8Page16_17.jpg
              Hail yesterday

Comment

No I haven't, but did fine one similar with a bit more 'logical' view of the connections thanks

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I remember messing things up when switching my 750XL from stock to Duncans. When coil splitting comes into play, there's even a little more going on than just the flipping of black & green between Jackson & Duncan. This chart showing start & end for each coil got me straightened out:

http://hotrodguitars.com/WireCode.htm

Comment

Hmm, apparently it worked, except for a somewhat microphonic sound in the 2 and 4 positions (might just be my monitor, and it's been a while since I've heard singles )
                    Though i'll give the contacts a once over connecting with a screwdriver, since moving the leads doesn't make any difference

....Though it could also be very possible I overheated the switch with the PoS iron I used
                    Last edited by Nightbat; 03-05-2014, 07:44 PM.

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

The easiest way I found to think of those switches is that it's 4 5-ways in one. Each group of contacts has a common tab (usually used for output to the jack, since that one tab also contacts all other tabs in that group).

If you want to do more than simple Strat-style 5-way, you wire those settings to another group and then jump the common of that group to the tab in the main group where you want that setting to apply.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        The easiest way I found to think of those switches is that it's 4 5-ways in one.
                        You lost me there

Each group of contacts has a common tab (usually used for output to the jack, since that one tab also contacts all other tabs in that group).

If you want to do more than simple Strat-style 5-way, you wire those settings to another group and then jump the common of that group to the tab in the main group where you want that setting to apply.
                        Uh, yeah
                        What I can figure out were lug 2345 on bottom row A and B were the output
                        how the hell the North finish and South start were wired on the outer lugs of bottom A and B to lugs 2 and 4 on Top A and B for single coil switching I'll never figure out
                        especially since 1 top 2/4 went to ground, and the other was wired to the output

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                          You lost me there
                          This is actually a correct way of looking at this switch.. 4 switches that are independent and electronically isolated from each other.. The same concept as a DPDT mini switch is the same as 2 SPDT

These super 5 ways confused me a bit at first.. so I just downloaded as many wiring examples as I could and studied them..Have a wiring project coming up soon and had to get a handle on this switch
                          GEAR:
                          #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
                          #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
                          #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
                          #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
                          #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
                          AMPS:
                          1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
                          ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                            You lost me there

Uh, yeah
                            What I can figure out were lug 2345 on bottom row A and B were the output
                            how the hell the North finish and South start were wired on the outer lugs of bottom A and B to lugs 2 and 4 on Top A and B for single coil switching I'll never figure out
                            especially since 1 top 2/4 went to ground, and the other was wired to the output
                            Because there are 2 ways to do splits -
                            1. The coil you want to be active is wired to Hot
                            2. The coil you want cut off is wired to Ground

The most common way I've seen factory Jackson Super 5-ways wired was that one group of contacts on a given quadrant of the switch were all jumped together, with one or two wires from that same quadrant attached to the "main" quadrant.

However, if you continue to view that switch as being 4 5-way switches with one Master control (the lever), you can wire it up in such a manner as to operate like 4 separate 5-way switches by keeping them isolated from each other, and using a separate switching system to choose between the 4 poles.

For example:

See here how each section is arranged. Each one has 6 tabs, which are the Common (output, indicated in orange here) and the 5 pickup contacts.

If you had a H-S-S layout and were to wire Pole 1 for:
                            1 Bridge
                            2 Bridge+Middle
                            3 Middle
                            4 Middle+Neck
                            5 Neck

You would first have to wire the bridge to 1, the middle to 3, and the neck to 5. Then you'd have to bridge 1, 2, and 3 manually, since on a standard Strat 5-way, those contacts are joined by the contact plate itself. This is why you find the jumper to another pole (section of the switch), and the tabs bridged.

However, you also can wire all 4 poles separately and run their commons to DPDT switches which select each pole.
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Hmmm,...

but how and where would I connect the ' inbetweens'? for that wouldn't I need to know where the contacts on the contact plate are?
                              ...and if you could explain why in my Fusion North finish and south start are both wired to common?

As you see, as long as things are going in the same direction in a way which I can trace, I'm fine
                              but in p'ups, especially with the various options, things jump around a lot and it's sometimes not a 'laid out - connect the dots' game

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X