Graphite reinforcement??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphite reinforcement??

What is the "graphite reinforcement" in the import Soloists?? (SL2 pro, SLATxxxxx, etc.)
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

I don't know for sure about Jackson, but other makers, e.g. Peavey,EBMM,
    EVH use graphite bars adjacent to the truss rod to help keep the neck
    more stable...

Comment

Yup, that's it. There was a Morton on Ebay some time ago that had a busted head (the old Gibson-style break) and you could see the truss rod and graphite rods on either side of it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'll add that I was skeptical at first about how much this actually helped, but my SL2Q has them and the truss rod required no adjustment when I moved from MI to AZ. How's that for a humidity difference, lol.

Comment

Carvin used to use graphite rods in their necks years ago, but they've since stopped. I think they started using a bigger truss rod and felt that not routing out additional wood helps maintain more of the inherent tone.
          6386_neckxsection_1.jpg
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Ibanez has been doing it for a while too except they call it "KTS" because they use Titanium instead of graphite. As Toejam stated Carvin used to do it as well. I do believe my old V220 had the reinforcement bars. It was a great guitar and the neck was rock solid. Biggest regret I have is selling that guitar.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I cant help but wonder if the sudden switch to graphite reinforcement is a substitute for cheaper, crappier quality wood? Never had any stability problems before, why the sudden change of heart?
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Good to know. Thank. And RobRR, I agree. That makes me wonder too.
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                  I cant help but wonder if the sudden switch to graphite reinforcement is a substitute for cheaper, crappier quality wood? Never had any stability problems before, why the sudden change of heart?
                  No doubt quality lumber is scarce as ever. May have something to do with a lot
                  of current players downtuning and using heavier strings, although the tension
                  is essentially the same?

Comment

I'd guess that it helps minimize neck twisting that happens when a new guitar travels from wherever they're made these days to their final destination. If the necks are oiled, Graphite or Carbon Fiber rods will certainly help with keeping them stable as they travel from overseas. It might also help them use woods that may not have settled for as long as one might prefer. If a neck is quartersawn, you shouldn't need reinforcement rods; the only reason I'd add them is if I were making a neck from figured maple.

Sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                      It's not that sudden. The Mark Morton model I got when it first came out (2006 I believe) also has graphite rods, and it's Japanese with a thick, three-piece mahogany neck.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

So the graphite rods help stop the neck twist/bend? What happens when it's time to adjust the truss rod? No change because the graphite rods won't let it?

Comment

From what I have read my understanding is that the truss rod works in conjunction with the reinforcement rods so that adjustments to the truss rod are needed far less than on a guitar that's not equipped with the reinforcement. Also the adjustments are done in a lot smaller increments because the reinforcement keeps the neck more stable and weather/climate changes have a lesser effect.
                          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I figured the graphite should stop the major warping that other necks would be susceptible to.

Comment

Originally posted by Force View Post
                              I figured the graphite should stop the major warping that other necks would be susceptible to.
                              They say it does. A few of my Ibanez models have the KTS titanium reinforcement rods and they're rock solid. While graphite isn't as rigid as titanium I would think it does pretty much the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X