Duncan distortion vs jb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan distortion vs jb?

I have a JB in my 81 Les Paul and find myself wanting more output and for lack of a better term grind. Kinda wishing for a Dimarzio Super 3 tone really.

Any better SD versions that I might try like say the DD?

SDD is good, I find the super 3 can be muddy. I just dropped a SD custom in my LP and love it.

Comment

Might also look into the SD Black Winter. I hear good things about it.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I put a Distortion in my Strat and it is an awesome pickup! If you want grind the Distortion will bring it along with clarity.

Comment

You can try swapping a Ceramic magnet into the JB. It'll be a DD lite.

Comment

Once I tried a SD distortion, I realized how much lack of clarity was in my JB. It's gotten to the point where I don't even like my soloist with a JB. The SD distortion has much better clarity (IMHO).

Comment

Distortion does indeed have clarity. To the point that it can be too bright in brighter guitars. But it can sound really good in lots of guitars.

Comment

IMHO, better lead pickup = JB, better rhythm pickup = Distortion, middleground = Custom/Full Shred

Downtuning doesn't suit the JB well in my opinion either. Too muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                  I have a JB in my 81 Les Paul and find myself wanting more output and for lack of a better term grind. Kinda wishing for a Dimarzio Super 3 tone really.
                  I myself wouldn't refer to the Super3 as a "grinding p'up" especially since it replaced the JB in my RR1
                  In that I found the JB having just a bit more mid-agression, it was just that I couldn't come to terms with the flubby bass and piercing highs

I would think for more midrange grind, the regular Super Distortion would be a better p'up
                  Last edited by Nightbat; 02-15-2014, 10:27 PM.
                  "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
                    I would think for more midrange grind, the regular Super Distortion would be a better p'up
                    Super Distortion is great for grind... downtuned is pretty awesome as well. I can nail Carcass tone pretty easily with a Super Distortion and slight EQing. One of my favorite pickups of all time.
                    The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

In terms of pure output and metal sound I'd have to go with the Distortion over the JB. I personally like the JB just a little bit better but that's just me. If I was playing pure metal all the time though I would go with the Distortion.
                      This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                      X