Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLR refinish question? Would you remove finish on neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DLR refinish question? Would you remove finish on neck?

I am sending a neck thru (Japan Collen Archtop) to Dan for a refinish soon. Going for a gun metal grey color with a touch of sparkle mixed in.

He is also enlarging my Schaller route to accommodate an OFR instead.

He is also probably going to remove the finish from the back of the neck and do a gun oil treatment instead.

Has anyone else had that done? Does he normally remove all the finish including up to the tuners?

Anyone happen to have pics of such a mod? Your comments and suggestions please?

Did you test the OFR to make sure it will intonate properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      Did you test the OFR to make sure it will intonate properly?
      +1...Its not a given. In fact, there's a good chance it will not....
      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

I know that the Schaller is usually installed slightly closer to the nut but I assumed that I could simply re intonate the OFR back?

Comment

You might be OK or you might be past the range of adjustment on one or more saddles. Why not leave the Schaller on there?

Comment

As one who has more guitars with Schallers than OFR's, I've found myself wanting to swap out a Schaller for the OFR. Not sure why but the best trem response I've EVER had has been on OFR's even though the Schaller lic'd versions are damn near the same save for the hardened steel insert and the shorter string screws... :think:
            I'd like to have just one of the Schaller axes switch to OFR to see if the magic comes from the model or the builder.

Obviously not a Charvel but this had 4 pros work on it: initially modified by Scott Gordon who took out the blade-style selector switch and the tone pot, put a toggle in it's place and filled the blade switch slot, painted by Dan. Then Don Golfen replaced the frets with stainless steel and put in some Bare Knuckles and a Lil '59. Finally, by Greg Platzer who put in new p'ups - a WCR Murkat and a Hot Rails and set the trem up beautifully.

Last edited by vector; 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM.

Comment

The Schaller trem sounds much more lifeless than an OFR and dont even get me started on how easily the intonation screws not to mention the cheap base plate tend to strip.

I have a few OFR's sitting around and always prefer them to Schallers.

Comment

Hmm, that's odd- the base plates in Schaller's are the same as OFR's- same metal, same screws AFAIK. The only difference is the hardened metal inserts for the knife edges. The Schallers have been described as an upgrade to OFR's. Tonally, they are listed as slightly warmer than an OFR. I'm assuming that you know that Schaller manufactures both their version and the OFR, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  You might be OK or you might be past the range of adjustment on one or more saddles. Why not leave the Schaller on there?
                  +1 The low E might not be long enough esp. if you like heavier strings...

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                    Hmm, that's odd- the base plates in Schaller's are the same as OFR's- same metal, same screws AFAIK. The only difference is the hardened metal inserts for the knife edges. The Schallers have been described as an upgrade to OFR's. Tonally, they are listed as slightly warmer than an OFR. I'm assuming that you know that Schaller manufactures both their version and the OFR, right?
                    Not odd at all. Old Schallers were known to have the saddle intonation screws strip out fairly easy.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                      He is also probably going to remove the finish from the back of the neck and do a gun oil treatment instead.

Has anyone else had that done? Does he normally remove all the finish including up to the tuners?

Anyone happen to have pics of such a mod? Your comments and suggestions please?
                      I had my Hamer's neck (three-piece mahogany) stripped and oiled a couple months ago. It's now got tung oil on it and feels great.
                      I don't know how Dan would do it, but most guitars I've seen with stripped necks have been done like this with a "stinger" at the nut and the rest of the finish still on the headstock.
                      H2-1.jpgHm2.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                        I am sending a neck thru (Japan Collen Archtop) to Dan for a refinish soon. Going for a gun metal grey color with a touch of sparkle mixed in.
                        How much more sparkle? Gun metal gray is already a metallic color (at least my old 2000 Jackson RR1T was).

Comment

You may want to specify to Dan which sparkle. There's pearl, metallic, and flake all can be considered sparkle but have a very different look.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Not odd at all. Old Schallers were known to have the saddle intonation screws strip out fairly easy.
                            Then it's safe to say that I have likely not played many older Schallers. Not for long, at any rate. And while it is anecdotal, I've never had any issue with the saddle intonation screws holes stripping out of the base plate of the dozen or so Schallers I've had in the last 15 or so years.

Comment

Schaller now also has a hardened steel version out: the Lockmeister

Link
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X