Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls Help with PC1 Truss Rod Adjustment

Hi,

I recently grabbed a used PC1 in Red Rum. Its pretty jacked up in terms of set up, not sure what the previous owner had done to this guitar. Anyway, I need to tighten the neck a bit, but I am really having difficulty getting at the truss rod.

I read in the forum that a 4mm wrench is correct, I have one, but using the short end of the 'L' doesn't seem to get in there and get seated, and trying to use the long end is useless because the tuners prevent me from getting the wrench at the right angle.

Is there a trick I am missing here? The wrench I am using comes from a set of guitar-specific wrenches, but it is just your basic hex wrench. I've removed the string retainer...loosened strings, I am at a loss here. Maybe the 4mm isn't correct? Its a newer PC1 I think since its had the Fender headstock, but aside from that I have no clue how old the guitar is or if that even matters.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Here ya go!

I use these on all my PC1's and they are superb!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_ro..._Wrenches.html

I also own one of these for an older PC1 that someone tried to use a wrong size wrench on and slightly chewed up the insert.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_ro..._Wrenches.html

Comment

I use the normal (provided by Jackson) ball-end type of wrench for most of my guitars, including a PC1 I sold recently. The ball-end was necessary because I couldn't get a 'straight' angle into the end of the rod so a normal wrench wouldn't bed in properly.
      Popular is not the same as good
      Rare is not the same as valuable
      Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Thanks guys. The guitar didn't come with the wrench, so I need to try to find one. I'll definitely look into those at Stew Mac but I fear the tuners will prevent the "straight" angle neilli mentions...perhaps the spacing of the tuners varies by guitar for some reason.

Tim

EDIT: I sent an email to Jackson (FMIC) customer service today...just got a reply to say they've dropped a replacement wrench in the mail for me. I know its only a wrench, but that is some great customer service. I also have a Stew Mac wrench on the way as well based on vklobucar's suggestion...I guess I'll be wrench-rich here in a few days, lol.
        Last edited by Rayneman; 01-30-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X