Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup Decision Help

Whattup everyone, me again.

So, I've been thinking of changing out the puppies in my Soloist Pro, as I'm tired of EMGs and want to try something new due to my decreasing desire to play outright thrash/death and increasing desire to play hard rock and other not-as-heavy genres.

Currently, I've been pondering of getting a Full Shred or Screamin' Demon in the bridge, and a combination of SD stacks in the mid/neck. I'm not entirely sure how the FS or Demon would sound in a brighter guitar such as the Pro, and so I have come to you guys for advice.

Are my choices good ones, or are there other pickups that you guys would recommend? Any and all advice would be appreciated.
    I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
    ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black
    Agile Al 3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/Blackouts
    Blackstar Soloist HT60
    Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
    Seymour Duncan 805

I have both of those pick ups. The full Shred is kick ass and just like the Demon except a little bit hotter. The full shred is 14.6 k and the Demon is about 10 K. They're both fantastic pick ups with Alnico V bar magnets that are great for pretty much any style you want to play. The main difference between the two pick ups is that the Demon has a little more bass and highs than the full shred while the full shred boasts a little bit more output. I honestly love both of them and I think either one is a great choice in an alder guitar body. Just a quick heads up; some people hate pairing the Demon with a Maple fret board. They say it's too bright. I haven't had this problem in my experience because I have it in an Ibanez RG 1550 ML and it screams in the basswood body and sounds just fine with the maple board.
    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Duncan Custom. Can do everything wonderfully.
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

J100/J100/J50bc

Comment

I am really liking the RTM...very versatile!
          "Rule number one: In my van, it's Rush. All Rush, all the time. No exceptions. Rule number two: Nobody touch the red button. And I mean never touch the red button. Most importantly, rule number three: There's no jerking it in my van!"

Kemper 600 watt Profiling Amp
          ENGL Powerball II
          Peavey 5150 4x12 Slant Cab
          Mesa 4 x 12 Slant Cab
          Marshall 2x12 Cab

2010 Jackson SL2H Trans Blue
          1988 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst
          1989 Charvel 750XL Trans Cherry Burst Hardtail
          2011 Jackson DK2M Blue
          2011 Jackson DK2M Black
          1987 Charvel Model 2 White
          2012 Charvel Dimartini Crossed Swords
          1991 Charvel Dinky 080-SH Blue Crackle
          1990 Grover Jackson Dinky Trans Purple
          2010 Jackson Mutt Slime Green
          2012 Charvel Jap Pro Mod Candy Blue
          2006 Gibson Les Paul Custom Black
          2003 Gibson Les Paul R9 Custom Shop Reissue
          2013 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro Silverburst
          2013 Epiphone Plus Top Pro w/ Bonamassa pups
          2014 PRS SE Custom 24 Emerald Green
          1987 Tokai Silver Star Strat

Comment

Originally posted by BigE13 View Post
            I am really liking the RTM...very versatile!
            +1 great pick up!!!!
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I love EMGs. I hate the JB. I also love the Super Distortion.

I'm really enjoying the Dimarzio D Activators. Pretty brutal. Great harmonics. Very balanced eq. One of the best sounding pickups on my Orange Dark Terror.

I don't like most Seymour Duncans, but I really like the SH-5 in the bridge.
              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Was thinking about the RTM, but it's so expensive (I'm running on college funds here )

What about the Custom Custom?
                I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                Blackstar Soloist HT60
                Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Hate to sound like a broken record.. But sully is right. SH5 (or TB5) Custom is amazing at everything..
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Btw @lefty my Soloist Pro is a maple neck-through with poplar wings and an ebony board, does not feature alder; though poplar and alder are similar
                    I'm back bitches!!!

Gear:
                    Blackstar Soloist HT60
                    Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
                    Seymour Duncan 805

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyApocalypse View Post
                      Btw @lefty my Soloist Pro is a maple neck-through with poplar wings and an ebony board, does not feature alder; though poplar and alder are similar
                      My bad! I thought all Soloists were alder.

Comment

The custom is okay but I don't really care for ceramic magnets.

Comment

What tonal change is the OP trying to achieve? Without knowing that, all of these rec's don't mean a whole lot.

Comment

Originally posted by FunkyApocalypse View Post
                            Was thinking about the RTM, but it's so expensive (I'm running on college funds here )

What about the Custom Custom?
                            The CC is a somewhat more mellow p'up in the custom line, enough output, just not really a screamer
                            "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

DiMarzio... Tone Zone or Norton.

Duncan... '59, Custom, Custom Custom.

EMG... if you're using the 81 now, try using an 85.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X