Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Schaller trem for OFR?

Hi guys, quick question!

My '94 JAP Soloist has the original Schaller floyd rose. But it has aged and it's pretty much dead. I have an OFR, but will it fit? Since it was routed for a Schaller..

I'm asking because I don't have the guitar, OR the Floyd Rose Original within reach for a while.

Thanks!
    www.bodyfarmdeathmetal.com
    www.facebook.com/bodyfarmdeathmetal
    www.metalblade.com/bodyfarm

The intonation range is slightly different between the two so it may or may not intonate. Is that non-recessed? The locking nuts have different lengths which can also be an issue on recessed trems. I'd go with another Schaller to be safe.

Comment

I fitted a Schaller on a Floyd body and had to shave (Rout) almost 1/8" off the neck to get intonation as it was beyond maxed out. Don't know if that was the particular neck though. Was a cheap parts guitar and I didn't understand/know about Schaller vs Floyd issues at the time, I just assumed something was slightly off with the body or neck. I don't know if it's my brain being foggy, but do Schaller equipped guitars have post holes closer to the neck or slightly longer heels? I can't seem to understand it. Then again I upgraded to a Floyd on my model series and had no intonation issues whatsoever
      Last edited by ginsambo; 01-18-2014, 10:00 AM.
      You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

The Schaller string locking bolts are shorter so in turn the route is shorter.
        Going with an OFR the locking bolts will be too long and hit the back of the route.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I actually prefer the sound of the Schaller over the OFR.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Is this a suitable replacement? : http://www.thomann.de/gb/schaller_or...kmeister_b.htm
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

No-one answered my question. Is the Schaller Lockmeister a suitable replacement?
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

The Schaller Lockmeister is a direct replacement to the OFR. It has the exact same dimensions.

Comment

I would buy another Schaller. Don't get me wrong I love OFR's as much as the next guy but in my opinion if its routed for a Schaller, then replace it with a Schaller. That will make sure you have zero intonation, route space issues (as others have stated). The new Schaller's are better then what you have. They don't use soft metal in the base plate any longer. I replaced the Schaller on my fusion recently and I couldn't be happier with it. Well worth the price tag. You won't be disappointed with a new one....
                  -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

What if I wanted to replace a 1990's Schaller with a new one? Would the Lockmeister do or do I need to hunt down a 1990 one?
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                      The Schaller string locking bolts are shorter so in turn the route is shorter.
                      Going with an OFR the locking bolts will be too long and hit the back of the route.
                      Isn't this your answer? If its routed for a schaller, then an OFR, may, or may not work. Results have varied. Its not a direct replacement...imo...
                      -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                        What if I wanted to replace a 1990's Schaller with a new one? Would the Lockmeister do or do I need to hunt down a 1990 one?
                        It looks like the lockmeister would be the same as replacing with a floyd as its speced the same as one. You should be able to find a new schaller that looks identical to your 90's version. I think this is what you need.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...l?tab=Pictures

Comment

You can order new base plate, saddles, string inserts and other Schaller parts you might need from Rockinger.de for lot less than new complete unit. The new base plate comes with new intonation bolts too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kisonen View Post
                            You can order new base plate, saddles, string inserts and other Schaller parts you might need from Rockinger.de for lot less than new complete unit. The new base plate comes with new intonation bolts too.
                            EDIT: OK so saddle mounting bolts and intonation bolts are the same thing?

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?c...F1637S%2F1637G
                            Last edited by Axewielder; 02-23-2014, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Yes. They're the same.

And they still make the Schaller unit, so if you wanted to replace a JT590 with a Schaller.... same thing.
                              The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

Working...
                              X