No announcement yet.

Humbucker-sized P90 for neck position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker-sized P90 for neck position?

I have a pair of SD Invaders installed in my KV and i want to replace the neck pickup to a humbucker-sized P90. The challenge is to find a humbucker-sized P90 neck pickup that will be well-balanced with the Invader in the bridge. Any ideas?
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

never used an invader, but I have had good luck using a Gibson P94T (bridge version, NOT neck) with the JB and the Custom/Custom.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

Haven't tried one myself yet, but have heard great things about the Duncan P-Rails, which is a P-90 and single coil (splittable) in one humbucker sized pickup.

Comment

I had a pair of Invaders in an old Peavey Nitro. They were so hot they just killed the tone completely in my opinion. The sustain was incredible though and so was the bass response. I would also say go for the Duncan SHPR-1s like Gypsy71 suggested. it's a great and very flexible pickup. My friend has a set in his Gibson ES-335 and they sound great.
        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

GFS Mean 90's
          Have em and love em and the neck pickup is more powerful than you'd expect a neck pickup to be
          I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

I don't want the P-Rails because i don't need all the switching options (although i had an idea to buy a used KVX10 and put a set of those in mind, but that's another thread altogether).

bombtek, i've heard good things about the GFS Mean 90's too and for the price i think i'll give one a shot.

Originally posted by RD
            ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
              I don't want the P-Rails because i don't need all the switching options (although i had an idea to buy a used KVX10 and put a set of those in mind, but that's another thread altogether).

bombtek, i've heard good things about the GFS Mean 90's too and for the price i think i'll give one a shot.
              They're a damn good P90 pickup for the price.
              I live on the edge of danger facing life and death every single day.....then I leave her at home and go disarm bombs.

Comment

DiMarzio Bluesbucker? http://dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/bluesbucker
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

http://www.irongear.co.uk/irongear_014.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Gypsy71 View Post
                    Haven't tried one myself yet, but have heard great things about the Duncan P-Rails, which is a P-90 and single coil (splittable) in one humbucker sized pickup.
                    Yup... I dig 'em.. They make a HOT set that is GREAT for metal and downtuning..

I know it might seem weird, a p-90 for agrresive, downtuned metal... but that big fat single coil grabs a wider range of the string vibration, even in humbucker mode.

I actually like em in p-90 mode the best, but, obviously, ya need a noise gate if you run 'em in p-90 mode with the gain up!

I usually run 'em with just a push pull to engage the p-90 mode.. the blade single coil by itself is pretty useless IMHO, so no need in doing all the fancy switchery that can be done.

honestly, don't waste your money on the Mean 90... I have... and there's are reason they say "for the price"..
                    Last edited by h.e.l.shane; 01-17-2014, 11:18 AM.
                    WWW.HELGUitars.com

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions dudes. I ended up ordering a GFS Mean 90 (neck) last week, i'll give it a shot and see how it sounds. I only realised later that i have no clue whether the pickup is F-spaced. Can anyone shed some light? If not, will i have any issues with the pole pieces lining up to the strings?

Originally posted by RD

Comment

You only need the pickup F-spaced for the bridge.
                        It's pronounced soops

Comment

OK thanks.

Originally posted by RD

Comment

Poles not lining up won't make any difference sound wise.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have used the p-rails hot in the bridge position. The only negative being it sounds so good in full humbucker position that I rarely use it with either split option.

I intend on ordering a set of slightly hotter Fralin P-92's to put in one of my guitars, hopefully this year.
                              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                              X