Tremolo Saddle Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo Saddle Issue

Guitar isn't a Jackson (sorry). But there's as there's a few pretty knowledgeable types on here, figured I'd give it a swing

It's an ESP SV Standard I bought used last year. It's the first revision with the woodscrews used as Floyd posts rather than the standard bushing/screw system.

Anyway, it's became apparent that the previous owner pretty much Incredible Hulked every single nut and bolt, but it's been generally OK besides. I had to use some considerable force to undo the floyd locknuts the first time (thankfully they're not damaged).

Anyway, I was changing my strings up last year and noticed that the G string wouldn't hold tune. Further examination revealed that the black string retainer has basically crushed inside the saddle.

I took the saddle off and managed to tap it out of there by removing the little square clip on the bottom of the saddle. The little block came out in three pieces, but the screw and saddle looked OK to me.

I ordered up a new set of blocks (official Floyd parts) and dropped a new one in. Strung up, but now I'm finding the G string still doesn't hold tune.

So two things:
    - One thing I want to check is that I haven't done something daft like put the string retainer block in the wrong way round. I can't remember what way I put it in but as it's time to change strings anyway, I can rectify whatever position it's in. So, question is, what way around should it be? There's a little circular impression on the block itself.
    - If it's not the block, what else could the problem be? I don't believe the thread on the screw itself is stripped, it doesn't have any play or movement and doesn't feel any different to the other retainer screws. If anything, the fine tuner feels a little notchy on that string, but no more so than on some of my other guitars which don't seem to have the same tuning problems.

Admittedly, the tuning instability is worse if I abuse the tremolo with a few far out dives, or pull ups. Normally I'd suspect a pitted knife edge, but if that was true, I'd sort of expect the tuning to come back into line with a corrective pull down after an up-pull if you know what I mean. I will check for this in any case. Just want to get a checklist of stuff to check, or maybe those more experienced than me will nail it in one, who knows

Would I be better served replacing the whole saddle? If so, anywhere recommended to get a replacement gold saddle from? Preferably an official floyd part. (I'm fussy).

Thanks in advance!

The divot faces away from the string.
    The locking pole centers itself in it as you tighten.

Comment

What about the other end. How's the nut and lock and tuner.

Comment

I'll check the divot soon. Cheers.

The locknut appears to be OK. I swapped the middle block with the one for the bass side but the problem hasn't followed so pretty sure we're good. I couldn't see any obvious problems with the block. Also, when I was stringing up, I couldn't get the string to pull through with the locknut tightened. I'm pretty sure it's good, but I will recheck it.

Comment

Working...
        X