String gauge question/Kahler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String gauge question/Kahler

hey dudes. I have a quick question about swapping string gauges. Currently my Mod 6 has 10-52's on it. I would like to maybe go 11-56. Would this throw my inntonation off really bad?

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
    hey dudes. I have a quick question about swapping string gauges. Currently my Mod 6 has 10-52's on it. I would like to maybe go 11-56. Would this throw my inntonation off really bad?
    Your intonation will be off but as to whether or not it will throw it off "really bad" is up to you. The fact is changing string gauges will require adjusting the neck to compensate for the tension difference and you'll need to adjust intonation for the difference in string gauge. Personally, when I change string gauges I give the guitar a basic set-up (adjust neck and reintonate) because I know I will notice the difference both in playability and intonation.

Comment

Thanks! ANother question. Say I want a little more height between the strings and the fretboard at the first few frets but I am fine with string gauge. Truss rod adjustment will be the answer for this rigth??? Will that throw off my intonation? Thanks Matt!

Comment

No you need a new nut to raise the action at the first fret, if you are tuning to standard E you will need the heavy duty spring kit and adjust the tension a lot. My experience is kahlers don't like to go bigger than 10-52

Comment

Truss rod is for adjusting the relief in the middle of the neck.

I agree you need a new nut of shim up the existing one.

And the combination of changing string size and action may cause intonation to need an adjustment. You are making more than one small change.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimRiffer View Post
            Thanks! ANother question. Say I want a little more height between the strings and the fretboard at the first few frets but I am fine with string gauge. Truss rod adjustment will be the answer for this rigth??? Will that throw off my intonation? Thanks Matt!
            These adjustments all interact with each other, but as a general rule of thumb:

1. Action at the first few frets is adjusted with nut height.
            2. Action in the middle of the neck is adjusted with relief.
            3. Action in the upper part of the neck is adjusted with bridge height.

Comment

thanks guys. The nut is fine by normal standards. I just like really high action. My brother says my model 6 is the best playing guitar he has ever held. I think it could be higher. Thanks for the info I may look into a new nut or a shim.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
                Your intonation will be off but as to whether or not it will throw it off "really bad" is up to you. The fact is changing string gauges will require adjusting the neck to compensate for the tension difference and you'll need to adjust intonation for the difference in string gauge. Personally, when I change string gauges I give the guitar a basic set-up (adjust neck and reintonate) because I know I will notice the difference both in playability and intonation.
                +1 Matt is absolutely correct. Any time you change string gauges the neck will need an adjustment and because the strings are a different size the intonation will need adjusted as well. You may also need to adjust the height of the bridge. On a personal note I, just like Matt will notice the slightest problem with intonation. I can't stand it when it's off even by the smallest fraction.
                Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-10-2014, 03:16 AM.
                This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                  These adjustments all interact with each other, but as a general rule of thumb:

1. Action at the first few frets is adjusted with nut height.
                  2. Action in the middle of the neck is adjusted with relief.
                  3. Action in the upper part of the neck is adjusted with bridge height.
                  +1 I couldn't have said it better myself bro.
                  This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
                  X