Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open chords: Regular vs. Reverse Headstock

Guys,

I'm noticing something odd. I have two similar guitars: A Jackson USA SL-2H (regular headstock) and a Carvin ST-300 (ordered with a reverse pointy headstock). They both have OFR bridges. Both guitars have their differences, but one thing that really stands out is tuning while playing an open E chord. With the Jackson, I hear this slight detune quality that bothers me. When I hit a chord, it will briefly ring out of tune slightly before sounding completely in tune. Slight enough that it bothers me. When I do the same thing with the Carvin, which has a reverse pointy headstock copying the Jackson design, it does not have that problem. It sounds like it's in tune from the moment I hit the chord, to the time it decays and becomes inaudible. I wonder if the solution here is a reverse headstock?

I want to love the Jackson more, but this does bug me. I'm planning on having a Jackson Custom Select made soon, but I don't want it to have this issue. I want open chords to ring out properly like the Carvin. So, here is the question:

Do you notice open chords to sound more in tune with reverse headstock Jacksons vs. regular headstock Jacksons? (I hope so, because I really want to love a Jackson more than a Carvin.

Thanks!
    Last edited by claxor; 01-09-2014, 02:41 AM.

I don't have any issue like that and it doesn't make sense that the orientation of the headstock would affect the resonance of the strings since they're locked down at the nut.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
      I don't have any issue like that and it doesn't make sense that the orientation of the headstock would affect the resonance of the strings since they're locked down at the nut.
      So, what do you think is causing this issue? Even if I play lightly, I can still hear it.

Comment

..maybe your Floyd is moving just a bit..coming forward just the slightest..more tension on the springs maybe would help this..
        or,your "intonation" is slightly off...I say its the floyd pivoting or floating one way or the other just a bit..Block your Floyd rose w/a piece of wood or somthing and see what happens.try it you may like it.haha.. Barry...God Bless...
        Last edited by Bear R.-; 01-09-2014, 08:30 AM.

Comment

If open chords sound out of tune when they ring out and barre chords sound in tune when they ring out you have a slight intonation problem and the bridge/neck may need adjusted. Head stock orientation should not make a difference one way or the other. The first thing you have to do is figure out which string or strings is sounding out of pitch instead of the correct pitch when the chord is played. Then check the intonation of each string one by one. The problem you're describing is called "Dissonance" Dissonance is when a chord is played the proper way and some of the notes sound out of tune. This could be due to an older set of strings as well. Did you ever notice that some chords on your guitar sound out of tune while others sound perfect? Let's use that open E chord you're talking about for an example. The E major sounds dissonant when it rings out. Now play a B minor barre chord and see if it sounds in tune. You can sit there all day and tune the guitar to perfect pitch at A 440 and when you finally get that E major open chord to ring true the B minor will now be out of tune. This is caused by notes at the 12th fret and beyond being out of tune when the open strings are tuned to pitch. Basically high frequency overtones aren't in tune and these overtones even when playing barre chords sounds perfect but certain open chords sound horrible. The fix is pretty simple. Adjust your guitar so the open notes of each string sound exactly the same as the 12th fret of each string. Example open E string should sound identical to the 12th fret E string only exactly one octave higher. A strobe tuner is a great help at curing intonation problems if you haven't ever done it before on your own.
          Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-09-2014, 08:39 AM.
          This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

That's what im talkin about lefty.its either Intonation or the trem is pivoting..it could only be one of the following..i was gonna say old strings but id try the intonation 1st..then proceed as follows.ha,ha,,ya what Lefty said
            Last edited by Bear R.-; 01-09-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear R.- View Post
              That's what im talkin about lefty.its either Intonation or the trem is pivoting..it could only be one of the following..i was gonna say old strings but id try the intonation 1st..then proceed as follows.ha,ha,,ya what Lefty said
              Well he should check the intonation first and make sure everything on the trem is tight hardware wise. Then check the neck. If those are both okay then I'd say it's time to change the strings.
              This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                If open chords sound out of tune when they ring out and barre chords sound in tune when they ring out you have a slight intonation problem and the bridge/neck may need adjusted. Head stock orientation should not make a difference one way or the other. The first thing you have to do is figure out which string or strings is sounding out of pitch instead of the correct pitch when the chord is played. Then check the intonation of each string one by one. The problem you're describing is called "Dissonance" Dissonance is when a chord is played the proper way and some of the notes sound out of tune. This could be due to an older set of strings as well. Did you ever notice that some chords on your guitar sound out of tune while others sound perfect? Let's use that open E chord you're talking about for an example. The E major sounds dissonant when it rings out. Now play a B minor barre chord and see if it sounds in tune. You can sit there all day and tune the guitar to perfect pitch at A 440 and when you finally get that E major open chord to ring true the B minor will now be out of tune. This is caused by notes at the 12th fret and beyond being out of tune when the open strings are tuned to pitch. Basically high frequency overtones aren't in tune and these overtones even when playing barre chords sounds perfect but certain open chords sound horrible. The fix is pretty simple. Adjust your guitar so the open notes of each string sound exactly the same as the 12th fret of each string. Example open E string should sound identical to the 12th fret E string only exactly one octave higher. A strobe tuner is a great help at curing intonation problems if you haven't ever done it before on your own.
                +1
                -Now....shut up n play yer guitar

Comment

Originally posted by leftykingv2 View Post
                  Well he should check the intonation first and make sure everything on the trem is tight hardware wise. Then check the neck. If those are both okay then I'd say it's time to change the strings.
                  Lefty, I know what you mean. Guitar is a weird instrument... In correct tuning and intonation, some chords sound perfect and some sound slightly off. Those "off" chords, however, ring out from beginning to end as slightly off. This issue is different. If I strum a chord, I notice for a split second the chord is correct, but then it briefly drops down in pitch slightly, and then slowly returns back to proper pitch.

Is this an intonation problem, or should I get Floyd Upgrades heavy duty springs as a spring replacement?

Comment

I would like to second the fact that the headstock orientation should not be the issue, since the strings are locked at the nut.

Comment

Originally posted by claxor View Post
                      Lefty, I know what you mean. Guitar is a weird instrument... In correct tuning and intonation, some chords sound perfect and some sound slightly off. Those "off" chords, however, ring out from beginning to end as slightly off. This issue is different. If I strum a chord, I notice for a split second the chord is correct, but then it briefly drops down in pitch slightly, and then slowly returns back to proper pitch.

Is this an intonation problem, or should I get Floyd Upgrades heavy duty springs as a spring replacement?
                      That's an intonation problem pure and simple. Unless your picking hand is somehow moving the trem without you noticing. If you can't figure it out you should see a good tech and show the tech what you're talking about. I own 3 USA Jackson guitars and tuning stability has NEVER been an issue. All the chords on the neck ring out true no matter where I play them. I mean most of the time once I re-string them and get them in tune I don't have to open the lock nut until I change the strings again.

Comment

If this is happening acoustically, then the only way the headstock direction could be a factor is if you're hearing behind-the-nut resonance, which will color the acoustic tone.

Shove a piece of pickup box foam under the strings behind the nut and see if the problem goes away. Alternatively, since the nut locks are tight, you can unwind the tuners so that part of the strings doesn't have tension, and thus cannot resonate. However, this may also introduce tuner post rattle as the strings will not hold them tight.

However, I'd be inclined to agree that your intonation is slightly off.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

check, make sure the locking nut is butted up to the fret board end.... intonation issue.
                          >^v^<

Comment

Originally posted by murkat View Post
                            check, make sure the locking nut is butted up to the fret board end.... intonation issue.
                            I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "butted up to the fretboard end".

Comment

I agree with murkat also check that your string saddles are locked down and not moving.
                              My suggestion is to tune your guitar as hard as you play it.If you play hard and tune with a soft touch the guitar will sound out of tune.
                              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                              X