No announcement yet.

does an empty pickup slot affect tone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does an empty pickup slot affect tone?

I usually remove the middle pickup in guitars when I get a model with HSS configuration. Would this have any affect on tone or especially your pinch harmonic range?

It shouldn't have any affect at all.

Comment

If anything it would improve it slightly (less magnetic drag on the strings). I usually just lower them way down (I'm a "deep picker" and my pick scrapes them otherwise).

Comment

i used to take the middle pup out too but my picking has changed somewhat and now I pick damn near over the neck pup and almost on the neck.. and its not as deep picking as I used to do either

Reason I rewired my jackson with a 3 way tele style switch in the first place as I never used the middle pup so i took it out .. well AND I always picked above it..i just put the middle pup back in a few weeks ago but its disconnected and lowered.. eventually ill hook it up but ,Just haven gotten around to rewiring it up..Ill keep the 3 way and wire a toggle switch for the middle to turn it on and off, instead of wiring it up with a 5 way.. I like the option of using the neck and bridge at the same time
        Last edited by Brandenburg; 01-08-2014, 08:31 PM.
        GEAR:
        #1 2001 MIJ Jackson DK-2 (IG Smoke Stack II,IG Pig Iron & 79' Gibson T-Top)
        #2 1995 MIK modded Fender squire (IG Rollings Mills,SD SC-101, IG Iron Slag)

#3 2001 MIK Squier Stagemaster Deluxe[Fender TripleBucker]
        #4 2007 MIJ DKMG/DXMG Jackson (IG VOLTS)
        #5 1985 MIA Gibson SG Special (EMG 85 & H)
        #6 1999 MIK ESP LTD M107
        AMPS:
        1989 Randall RG 100 ES;Randall RH 200;Peavey 412 ms;two Early 70's Woodson 212's
        ART SGX 2000 w/x15 ultrafoot;ART MutiVerb

Comment

Yes, but only for that pickup. )
          I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

This belongs in the Tech Q&A section.
            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Working...
            X