retainer bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• retainer bar

I think i am going to put on a retainer bar.

But where would I put it?

I want access to the truss if i need it, but still want to use the cover. Not much room for the high e. The low e has such a sharp angle that a bar needs to hang over the edge of the headstock, or somehow pull it inwards.

Ideas? Suggestions?

http://209.160.33.72/d/701/582/zlxsp...9174007634.jpg

Comment

Why would it be necessary, if you are locking down the nut? I'm about to put a floyd nut on a M1 neck.

Comment

You don't need a retainer on an angled headstock.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
          You don't need a retainer on an angled headstock.
          The purpose of the retainer bar is to pull the strings down, towards the face of the headstock, after they pass over the base of the locking nut. This helps to keep the strings from going too sharp when they are clamped at the nut. With an angled back headstock this isn't an issue so yeah, you don't need one.

Comment

Two reasons
            1. All six strings need need lowered behind the nut. They don't sit flush on the back end.
            I don't always keep this one locked. Its less of an issue when I do.

2. Because I don't always keep it locked. That low e is coming off at such a hard angle that it rides up and pops out of the back side. The A string isn't much better.
            Even when they are locked, because they pull up and over, locking them is a chore.

I should point out. I bought this used. I don't think the nut is original.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt_B View Post
              The purpose of the retainer bar is to pull the strings down, towards the face of the headstock, after they pass over the base of the locking nut. This helps to keep the strings from going too sharp when they are clamped at the nut. With an angled back headstock this isn't an issue so yeah, you don't need one.
              Maybe I should have said that I was having that issue. I assumed it would be a given. Why else would I do it.

Comment

None of my Jackson's have that issue. Do u wind the strings up or down the tuner shaft. I go one up then 2 or 3 windings down, locks the string and makes sure there's enough angle over the nut.

Comment

I have various guitars with back angles to the headstock. Some have this issue, some don't.

Sometimes, I just need to tune a little flat, lock down and just give a little nudge with the fine tuners.

If you're really bothered, shim the nut up slightly (where it meets the headstock, not the fretboard). Believe it or not, but a little strip of standard paper will more than likely solve the problem.

On the issue of retainer bars, I've grown to not like them. I took the one off my FR Strat and found the sustain did improve sustain a buttload!

Comment

Don't do it
                    I like black and white guitars

Comment

Lets assume that I am going to do it. Lets assume you can't talk me out of it.

If i wanted to keep the truss cover in use.
                      If i wanted to lower all six strings.
                      If i wanted to reduce the hard sideways angle coming off the nut of the lower strings.

How would you recommend I do it?

Comment

If you want to keep the TRC on I would recommend that you put the truss rod cover on, and put it as close to the nut as possible without the screws for the bar hitting the cover.

If you want the TRC off then I would put it right over the end of the TR and make sure I could get a TR wrench in there before I actually screwed it in place.

I would also reference other guitars that have retainer bars and TRCs and where they have it placed.

I would measure everthing a few times before I actually made any holes.

You need to make sure you can get it low enough to do it's job while also allowing the strings to pass under it and over the TRC.

I am having the same issue with some of my Deans. The headstocks are angled, but not enough so the strings go sharp when I lock the nut down. Also The Original Dean From Hell had a retainer bar, I spent months searching for an Original 70's KISS sticker, kinda want to add the bar too...
                        Last edited by Steel City Psycho; 01-08-2014, 02:34 AM.
                        I DESPISE ROSEWOOD WITH A PASSION!!!

Comment

Before you do it ask around for the pics of the Silverswirl Soloist that someone did that too. It ruined the overall value of the guitar. Structurally, it was ok but the overall value was killed. If you do it, just pre-drill all your holes, double check before you drill and don't slip the bit. Also, make sure you align it up so it is centered correctly and not crooked. If you never plan on parting with the guitar then do it because you want to, but... if you ever try to sell it or trade it, be ready to take at least a 33% price drop, if not 50%. You will harm the overall value of the guitar in question. They are made without one for a reason so... just think and plan it through thoroughly. Post pictures after you install it if you don't mind. It would be worth seeing for sure.
                          I like black and white guitars

Comment

I would just go the simple way. Take the E,A,D,and G string and turn the tuners the other way when you string the guitar up. It's a simple solution that cuts the angle down on the strings after the nut. I learned it from a buddy of mine who has nothing but guitars with reverse head stocks. I would NOT drill that guitar and put a string retainer on it. That's just nuts. This will "Reduce the hard angle coming off of the nut" as you put it.
                            This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I would still recommend shimming the front edge of the locking nut before resorting to a retainer bar!

Comment

Working...
                              X