Tremolo Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tremolo Springs

I have my guitar tuned D-D using 11-49 gauge strings. Trouble is, I would quite like my floyd rose to be a little easier to dive.

Would I be better off with 3 higher tension springs in \|/ format or 4-5 lower tension springs in || || or ||||| formation (if you can image that as the view from the the spring route).

Fewer springs arranged the same way is less tension on the trem arm in terms of feel. Ultimately you have to balance the bridge which is a combination of spring tension.

I run 9s at concert pitch and I only use two springs. When I used generic springs I had to crank the spring claw almost all the way in but when I switched to heavy duty springs I was able to back out the claw quite a bit. Same overall tension and feel but the springs aren't as stretched out.

The fact is you can only get it to feel so light because of the amount of tension you have to offset.
    Last edited by Matt_B; 01-05-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Another way to think about is in terms of pounds of tension.

Assuming you're using D'addarion EXL115 strings (11, 14, 18, 28, 38, 49) or something similar, the strings tuned a whole step down are creating 94.13 pounds of tension which is almost the same amount of tension as a standard sets of 10-46 tuned a half step down (92.29 lbs). For comparison, a standard set of 9-42 creates 85.13 lbs of tension at concert pitch. Depending upon the springs themselves, you might be able to get away with only three springs if you crank the spring claw in which will feel lighter to you.

Comment

I doubt this is an issue here, but it may be for some users...
        I have one that, the holes where the springs hook into, they're grooved. I can't run angled springs, only straight.

Comment

The more open a spring is, the easier it will flex.

With heavier springs (and the claw further out and the springs in a more closed position), it will take more effort at the beginning of the dive, but will ease up as the springs open.

With lighter springs (and the claw further in and the springs in a more open position), it will have a smoother feel.

Pick your poison.

Comment

More info: when you are leveling the trem, you are balancing string tension against spring tension in a state of rest. Heavier/lighter/more/less springs will affect the feel when it is in movement.

Comment

Even more info: running springs at an angle opens them up more, so the trem will have a smoother feel vs running the springs in a straight line.

Comment

Sounds just like a maple versus rosewood fingerboard argument.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you use four springs now, just take one out and readjust the claw.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                    If you use four springs now, just take one out and readjust the claw.
                    +1
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

I leave off the back plate and pinch my forskin between the tension springs. That may not work for everyone. But I find that the people love it.

Half the tone is in the pud.
                      "Bill, Smoke a Bowl and Crank Van Halen I, Life is better when I do that"
                      Donnie Swanstrom 01/25/06..miss ya!

"Well, your friend would have Bell's Palsy, which is a facial paralysis, not "Balls Pelsy" like we're joking about here." Toejam's attempt at sensitivity.

Comment

Comment

LOL.

For what it's worth and should anyone be looking at this thread ten years from now, I ordered a few different tension springs and tried them all out. I've ended up with a heavy tension spring in the middle and two middle tension springs to form the V. This feels like the best cross between nice and light, but not too touchy that it'll go out of tune if you sneeze at it. I'm using 11-49 tuned to D.

The light tension springs were too light for anything, even using using 9s at concert pitch (was experimenting in a BC Rich Gunslinger too).

Comment

Working...
                          X