Winter stress on guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter stress on guitars

Took 3 guitars to a local but renowned luthier for non-weather related repair and tweak issues. His first act was to check the necks, after which he immediately exclaimed,"Wow! This is off 3/100's... and this one is about 2/100's and this one is so bad it needs to go in our re-humidifying room STAT! Not what you want to hear when he's handling your 3 and 4,000 dollar guitars...

So, it got me to thinking about two things:
    1) Do I need to get a humidifier in my basement studio? It would seem the answer is pretty obvious.
    2) What's the optimal humidity level setting for a small room (12' x 16' ) full of guitars? He had his work shop set at 55% My studio room is at 34%

Any other issues I need to consider during the dry and cold months?
    The luthier also suggested some form of in-case humidifier- like Planet Waves Humidipaks. Anyone ever use them?

I don't know if there is a proper answer.
    But here's what i know from the store:

pianos made for America are set for different atmospheric environments than the ones made for Japan or Germany or wherever. The wood gets seasoned for where its to be sold.
    That's why you don't by a 'gray market' piano. Its not illegal (black market) its just not healthy for the unit.
    But, a piano and guitar are different. One gets tuned twice a year. The other gets tuned every two songs.

As long as its not too wet or too dry, its more about the changes of humidity than the level itself.

Comment

Are these acoustic guitars? I've never heard of employing a humidifying chamber or a case humidifier with an electric. I wouldn't leave electrics sitting out in an unconditioned space for a long time, in any event.

Comment

I really watched humidity levels a few years back and tried to keep it at 40% to 45% year round. That turned out to be WAY too much in the winter. I found mold forming on the inside of my windows because condensation was forming due to the wide difference in temp inside/outside coupled with humidity levels inside. I now shoot to be in the 35% to 40% range in the winter, but don't spaz if it hits 30%. Roughly the same for the summer, but it sometimes shoots up to 55% or so.

Not saying this is that gospel, but that has worked for me.

BTW, what exactly was the tech saying was off? Relief? Or was he saying the necks were twisted? He was probably talking in thousands of an inch (not hundreths).
        Last edited by Chad; 01-02-2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          I really watched humidity levels a few years back and tried to keep it at 40% to 45% year round. That turned out to be WAY too much in the winter. I found mold forming on the inside of my windows because condensation was forming due to the wide difference in temp inside/outside coupled with humidity levels inside. I now shoot to be in the 35% to 40% range in the winter, but don't spaz if it hits 30%. Roughly the same for the summer, but it sometimes shoots up to 55% or so.

Not saying this is that gospel, but that has worked for me.

BTW, what exactly was the tech saying was off? Relief? Or was he saying the necks were twisted? He was probably talking in thousands of an inch (not hundreths).
          Talking purely electric guitars in the room and yes, levels of humidity most certainly do effect the neck and thus, the frets as in the case of mine- wood was so dry that it shrank to the point of having the frets stick out from the edge. With regard to the neck relief, yeah, it was thousandths, not hundredths of an inch. I was in a hurry typing, I guess.

I had experiemented with a drug store humidifier 2 years back and found that due to it not having any means of controlling the level of humidifying the air- (plug it in and let it run) it caused the gear in the room to be covered in a fine film- presumably from the dust that adhered to the moistened surfaces? It was actually a real bitch to clean so, I gave up on that method. I'm hoping that the programmable unit I just bought will fare better.

Comment

Wow, if frets were starting to poke out, then yeah, definitely too dry. I bet you were in the 20% range... maybe lower. A good sign humidity is too low is if you start shocking yourself from static electricity.

I had my HVAC people install a humidifier on my furnace when I moved in my house several years ago. It has a level control mounted next to the thermostat. I believe they charged $350 or so. That was a great investment.

Comment

On the MyLesPaul forum:

OK so Who is Cold Weather Checking????
              http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/hist...-checking.html

Comment

Most furnace people don't recommend those furnace humidifiers. you can grow mold.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                  Most furnace people don't recommend those furnace humidifiers. you can grow mold.
                  Noted. Although, I've not had any problems since I started following the recommended settings (lower settings the colder it gets outside). Probably 8 or 9 years going now.

What other humidity control options are there, btw?

Comment

Simple solution; Keep your guitars in the case ALWAYS. Second; buy this tool I am posting a link to and use it about once a month as I do and you'll never have a neck problem again as long as you understand how to adjust the truss rod yourself and how the tool works. I also use this tool anytime the weather changes drastically in a short period of time to check my necks and make sure they're okay. Hope this helps guys. http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Neck-St.../dp/B00DALF966 EDIT; I should mention that I have a finished basement studio and I have a very excellent humidifier that keeps the room at 47% year round. It's programmable and it uses warm mist and ultrasonic technology. It's also got a Hygrometer and a U.V. light that helps the water stay pure.
                    Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-03-2014, 10:02 PM.
                    This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

So wall hangers are a bad idea? I hang all of mine

Comment

Worst thing you can do is leave a guitar exposed to the changes in temp/humidity even if your house is climate controlled. EDIT; I also find that bolt on guitars adjust a lot better to climate/humidity changes than set neck and neck thru models.
                        Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-03-2014, 10:13 PM.
                        This is what I think of Gibson since 1993. I HATE BEING LEFT HANDED! I rock out to Baby metal because Wilkinsi said I can't listen to Rick Astley anymore.

Comment

Interesting. I live in florida and leave my A/C on all year set at 75. I figured if music stores did it than what the hell. Gonna buy one of those tools and keep an eye on them.
                          Last edited by outlawten5; 01-03-2014, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by outlawten5 View Post
                            Interesting. I live in florida and leave my A/C on all year set at 75. I figured if music stores did it than what the hell. Gonna buy one of those tools and keep an eye on them.
                            A/C can be great or horrible for guitars. It all depends on the humidity level in the room the guitars are kept in. The downfall to having guitars in the A/C in a very humid and hot place like Florida (I was born in Florida in 1976 so I know how sticky/hot it gets) is when you take a guitar and throw it in the case and take it out of the house. This can be very hazardous and detrimental to a guitar because of the fact that the guitar can "sweat." This is horrible for guitars. It's one of the worst things that can occur to the neck and plays a big part in "Finish checking" as well. This is the main reason I bought the humidifier I own. Here are a few facts about guitars and humidity levels. 1. Optimum humidity levels for electrics and acoustics is between 40 and 50%. 2. Humidity levels at 35% action changes usually for the worst, the top of the guitar flattens out, the fret ends start to feel a little sharp. 3. Humidity below 25% Fret ends become very sharp, Drastic changes in the playability, seems begin to separate, There is a slight separation between the bridge and the top, the finish starts to check. 4.Humidity levels hit 15% or lower (this is the worst) Cracks appear in the top and body of the guitar, the bridge and fret-board crack (when speaking of the bridge cracking this happens only on acoustics,) The glue joints in the neck, bridge and braces start to separate. Hope this helps guys. Obviously certain things that I've made mention of here only pertain to acoustics such as braces and bridges cracking.
                            Last edited by leftykingv2; 01-04-2014, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
                              Wow, if frets were starting to poke out, then yeah, definitely too dry. I bet you were in the 20% range... maybe lower. A good sign humidity is too low is if you start shocking yourself from static electricity.

I had my HVAC people install a humidifier on my furnace when I moved in my house several years ago. It has a level control mounted next to the thermostat. I believe they charged $350 or so. That was a great investment.
                              If the fret ends start to poke out you're at about 15% or lower. This can and will cause irreparable damage if left untreated.

Comment

Working...
                              X